NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn June 20th-14

si@nite

Taken at around 18 degs in average seeing at best, blue channel was a dim ball of fuzz at 15fps even with gain maxed out but fairly pleased with the outcome at such low elevation! Thanks for looking!

post-16599-0-06113500-1403342056_thumb.p

post-16599-0-86621900-1403342089_thumb.p

Taken at around 18 degs in average seeing at best, blue channel was a dim ball of fuzz at 15fps even with gain maxed out but fairly pleased with the outcome at such low elevation! Thanks for looking!

Hi Simon, Getting anything at 18 degrees is a achievement. So nice shot.  How come only 18. On stellarium its showing 23 degees in Essex

Blue at 15 fps will be a fuzz. I used 30 fps with a poor histo. at 30 fps it will be sharper but terribly weak. and noisy. Another option with my DMK was 1/19th secs exposure

You would be surprised how much 1/19th will sharpen up the blue compared to 1/15th. on such low elevation.

Thanks oldpink- Michael appreciated!

Hi Simon, Getting anything at 18 degrees is a achievement. So nice shot.  How come only 18. On stellarium its showing 23 degees in Essex

Blue at 15 fps will be a fuzz. I used 30 fps with a poor histo. at 30 fps it will be sharper but terribly weak. and noisy. Another option with my DMK was 1/19th secs exposure

You would be surprised how much 1/19th will sharpen up the blue compared to 1/15th. on such low elevation.

Cheers Neil thanks for the advice, but maybe my last crack at Saturn due to my location, I think around 22 degs is about the best elevation up here in derby it maybe a couple of degs higher further south im not sure, this image was taken at 11.45 Its the earliest I can get on it, i too use stellarium to check but could of been mistaken!

Nice work Simon...pretty sharp for that elevation. What camera was this taken with? You went over to an ASI didnt you?

Pete

Cheers pete, ive not got the asi still using the dmk, but theres no doubt that the they have the edge on dim Saturn, but im keeping my options open for a new camara, but an aperture increase may come first, because I think the dmk is more evenly matched on Jupiter!

Thanks also Alan!

Thanks oldpink- Michael appreciated!

Cheers Neil thanks for the advice, but maybe my last crack at Saturn due to my location, I think around 22 degs is about the best elevation up here in derby it maybe a couple of degs higher further south im not sure, this image was taken at 11.45 Its the earliest I can get on it, i too use stellarium to check but could of been mistaken!

Yes that explains it Simon, I have the opposite. Get it early. Gone later.

I too cant be bothered with it, its fading fast. Unobstructed views would be another matter, as we could shoot longer. But getting just one RGB run before its gone is a bit rough. After all the setup

Archived