NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Clear Outside Weather Forecasts for Astronomers

The forecasts look like they match to me :)

You've got the view set to 'Center on Midnight' which when you view before midday means in order to show the morning it actually starts by showing the second half of yesterday. 

That means in your screenshot the forecast for tonight is actually the first chunk of the second 'Monday' row of data.

I don't like the centre on midnight view for this reason and prefer the 'Start at current hour' view because it is much more intuitive to read - you might also want to install the app because this gives a much better experience on mobile devices than the cut down mobile version of the website.

Hope that helps :)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Grant_FLO said:

The forecasts look like they match to me :)

You've got the view set to 'Center on Midnight' which when you view before midday means in order to show the morning it actually starts by showing the second half of yesterday. 

That means in your screenshot the forecast for tonight is actually the first chunk of the second 'Monday' row of data.

I don't like the centre on midnight view for this reason and prefer the 'Start at current hour' view because it is much more intuitive to read - you might also want to install the app because this gives a much better experience on mobile devices than the cut down mobile version of the website.

Hope that helps :)

Got it!  Thanks. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I seem to be having some issues scrolling on the Android app after one of the recent updates. If I scroll right to left it only scrolls a very minimal amount and then stops. In order to scroll through the entire week I then have to swipe repeatedly from right to left.

Interestingly though if I swipe right to left on the header part where it shows the day and solar/lunar info, it seems to scroll overly quickly.

Is anybody else having the same issue?

Thanks

1 minute ago, procky1845 said:

Hi,

I seem to be having some issues scrolling on the Android app after one of the recent updates. If I scroll right to left it only scrolls a very minimal amount and then stops. In order to scroll through the entire week I then have to swipe repeatedly from right to left.

Interestingly though if I swipe right to left on the header part where it shows the day and solar/lunar info, it seems to scroll overly quickly.

Is anybody else having the same issue?

Thanks

Yes same here on Galaxy S7 Edge

Grant mentioned this earlier, something about an update to the Android OS causing a problem with Clear outside. We use IOS here at FLO so only noticed it when Android users started posting negative reviews. Grant is working on a fix. 

HTH, 

Steve 

3 hours ago, RayD said:

It isn't a big issue, it's jut instead of flow scrolling right it only goes a bit.  Still works fine.

Grant has replicated the problem so will soon have a fix for it, probably sometime tomorrow. 

HTH 

• Like 2

The scrolling issue on some Android devices should now be fixed. You may need to completely close the app and reopen.

The issue was due to an update to one of the system components of Android that caused a conflict with the way scrolling works in Clear Outside.

For now we just wanted to fix this issue but we are working on improvements and new features to the app :)

4 minutes ago, FLO said:

The scrolling issue on some Android devices should now be fixed. You may need to completely close the app and reopen.

The issue was due to an update to one of the system components of Android that caused a conflict with the way scrolling works in Clear Outside.

For now we just wanted to fix this issue but we are working on improvements and new features to the app :)

Wonderful, all working smooth and dandy now.  Thanks guys good job and quick response :thumbright:  Now if you could make sure all the boxes are green all the time, that would be grand :wink2:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We've added the ability to turn on 'Experimental Features' today - at the bottom of the forecast (website only for now) there is a button:

image.png.984d0db95533615d949a4ed765348ad5.png

Pressing it turns on the experimental features for that browser. You can turn it off at any time by pressing the button again.

The first experimental feature is an additional cloud forecast taken from a different weather source, here is an example:

image.thumb.png.e4c354c530cdff34188684321ce66fd1.png

Clear Outside is not a weather forecaster - we take existing data sources and present the data in an astronomer friendly way. We know many of you (us included!) check multiple forecasts when looking ahead so this is one step towards Clear Outside being able to display multiple cloud forecasts from multiple sources.

If you have other sources you would like to suggest, please let us know.

As this is an experimental features we are not using the additional forecast to influence the traffic light ratings.

In the future, the idea may be to (optionally) display multiple cloud forecasts and give you the ability to choose which ones you would like to have displayed and which ones to discount that way if you have a particular data source for your location that seems to get it right more often, you may choose to only display that forecast.

• Like 2

Just now, moise212 said:

meteoblue predicts also seeing

We've still not found a reliable data source for this - last I checked Meteoblues was theoretical and experimental.

Also, I'm not entirely sure how useful it is - if it's clear, I'm going to be outside if possible regardless of a seeing estimate :)

6 minutes ago, moise212 said:

meteoblue predicts also seeing

their seeing predictions are essentially useless at the moment...not a single night they guessed it right lately. predict mediocre, it's excellent, predict fantastic and it turns out poor...

1 minute ago, FLO said:

We've still not found a reliable data source for this - last I checked Meteoblues was theoretical and experimental.

Also, I'm not entirely sure how useful it is - if it's clear, I'm going to be outside if possible regardless of a seeing estimate :)

Most of the times I found the guiding graph behaving better or worse, in line with their prediction. But I live in Romania, the weather can be more predictable here as there's no big puddle around where I live :D

23 minutes ago, FLO said:

I must admit I never use the seeing function.  Like you say, if it is clear I image, I just work around the seeing and find out how bad it is when I start guiding.  I certainly wouldn't choose to not image when it's clear because the seeing is bad.

It's a great app.

Edited by RayD

I tend to use a variety of apps/websites to make a decision. I must admit, i've only got it wrong a handful of times and a few times when i thought "Damn it looks clear right now so seems like i've misjudged the predictions" have actually turned out to be a miserable cloudy night any way.

I couldn't care less like RayD about the bad seeing, as long as it's clear and will remain like that for the entire imaging session, i'll be out.