Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Clear Outside Weather Forecasts for Astronomers

• 1 month later...

The Clear Outside website and IOS App was down for approx 15 mins about half-hour ago. Sorry  :blush:

The site and app are okay, no faults, but the server ran out of space after an unusually busy period. We should have received an alert early enough for us to respond but that didn't happen.

Both the website and App are up again and the server will be upgraded in the morning. 

Clear Outside has now generated 484,587 forecasts over 9362 locations! :smile:

Thanks guys, so just checking will this keep the clouds away?

Yes, we personally guarantee it  :biggrin:

Steve

After nearly six months Clear Outside has generated 300,741 forecasts for 6,785 locations. 

The ClearOutside weather forecast website for astronomers has now made over half-million forecasts for over 10,000 locations :smile:

Most pleasing though is 86% of people who try ClearOutside continue to use it on a regular basis. 

Thank-you for making it a success  :icon_salut:

It says 0% cloud for here right now, and it is!

One thing I do find, and this goes with other sites too, is the the sunset times being off by about 30 minutes. It says 16:39 for here but at 16:39 it's quite dark. Towards the end of last week the sun set just after 16:00 - going home time from the office.

It says 0% cloud for here right now, and it is!

We will happily take credit for that :grin: 

One thing I do find, and this goes with other sites too, is the the sunset times being off by about 30 minutes. It says 16:39 for here but at 16:39 it's quite dark. Towards the end of last week the sun set just after 16:00 - going home time from the office.

The sun set times are correct. The times are based on when the sun reaches a certain position on the horizon but they don't take into account your local geography, like the elevation of nearby land. So if, for example, you are next to a hill the sun will appear to set earlier as it disappears behind the hill. We are guessing that is what you are experiencing because you have the same result with other calculators. 

HTH, 

Steve

Quick question on this. I use the iOS app which works well. Is it possible to have it default to a particular location rather than always starting with the FLO forecast then having to change it?

Thanks

Quick question on this. I use the iOS app which works well. Is it possible to have it default to a particular location rather than always starting with the FLO forecast then having to change it?

Yes :smile: 

Touch the 'Locations' button at the bottom of the screen to see your list of stored locations (the one ticked is your current 'Home Location'). Touch the 'Edit' button top-right corner. Touch the location you want to make 'Home Location' then switch the 'Home Location' slider to on. Job done. 

We did consider making a more prominent 'Make Home Location' button but felt most people would use it only once. The app also provides the option to make a new location 'Home Location' when it is created. 

HTH, 

Steve 

The Android App is pretty much sorted but i suspect some people might still have a few quirks because of the multitude of different versions of Android and  hardware , display resolutions etc that are available on Android - I guess  thats what you get for "freedom" ;):evil::grin:

My only complaint is that the Android version hasn't been able to improve the weather - I hope  it's something that FLO are looking at doing in a future release... :grin:

• Like 2

My only complaint is that the Android version hasn't been able to improve the weather - I hope  it's something that FLO are looking at doing in a future release... :grin:

Given the amount of cloud I can see out of the office window progress is proving extremely slow on this :( Sorry...

Given the amount of cloud I can see out of the office window progress is proving extremely slow on this :( Sorry...

Grant did mention something about a large 'Clear my Skies Now' button for the next update.... 

B)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just looking at Clear Outside and next to frost there is a link called Chance which is linked to the Australian lottery.  Is this a corrupt file or something you have added?

That sounds rather odd - the frost row has the label 'Chance of Frost' next to it, but there are no links or anything like that.

I've checked Clear Outside and can see no issues our end nor do I see any links.

Can you send me a screen shot of what you see?

I'm confident it's not the Clear Outside producing this link but it's possible some adware running on your computer that is injecting links into web pages for advertising purposes. There is adware out there that will pick out keywords in a web page and turn them into links.

• 2 months later...

Just looking at Clear Outside and next to frost there is a link called Chance which is linked to the Australian lottery.  Is this a corrupt file or something you have added?

That sounds like your browser has been hijacked by a bit of malware that turns words on a page into links to various advertisements. Id run the usual security sweeps on your pc, and reset the browser to default settings ect.

Edited by Earl

• 2 months later...