Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M13 - It's a Great Cluster

PhotoGav

I've finally got round to processing last weekend's subs of M13:

post-29321-0-49621600-1400950321_thumb.p

29 x 300s subs, calibrated with darks, flats & bias. Processed in Nebulosity 3 & CS3. Taken with Celestron EdgeHD 800 and 60D.

Pretty happy with this one, especially given that the subs didn't appear to be the best quality. I had trouble with polar alignment, I think the tripod might not have been totally level, and the subs seemed a bit eggy. However, the result doesn't seem too bad. I have been quite aggressive with the colour saturation in processing - not sure if I might have gone a bit far?

All comments, good or bad, greatly received. In fact, it's the 'bad' ones that help most!!

thats awsome! i cant give much feedback as ive just learnt how to guide, my 1st object for my guided session was infact M13 :D

i was advised not to go above 3-4 mins as you dont want to blow out the core of M13, but this is fab! :)

edit, i try to set the background to 23/23/23 :)

I like this Gav - Very very good indeed. I do agree about the colour though, it is a little on the brown / yellow side. The fact that you have managed to hold the stars to the core is excellent. This looks good and will look superb with a little colour tweak.

Thank you all very much - really helpful feedback. I've had a play with gradientXterminator and levels:

post-29321-0-24161500-1400956590_thumb.p

I think it's an improvement, though it seems to have dulled down quite a few of the outer stars.

Is it normal to get such gradients in an image? I shot loads of flats and think that I have used them correctly, but I do tend to always end up with this similar gradient in my images...

Thank you @jabeoo1. Good question, I wondered what that fuzzy was while I was processing this and promptly forgot to look it up, so thank you for bringing it up! Anyway, just had a look on CdC and I think it must be NGC 6207, that is the nearest to M13 and just gets into the field of view according to the rectangle display.

Thank you @jabeoo1. Good question, I wondered what that fuzzy was while I was processing this and promptly forgot to look it up, so thank you for bringing it up! Anyway, just had a look on CdC and I think it must be NGC 6207, that is the nearest to M13 and just gets into the field of view according to the rectangle display.

upload it to astrobin and it will solve it for you :) i love astro bin for solving images

Lovely...my 14 year old said is that a star explosion?

What a wonderful comment!

I will have to have a look at M5 - there are plenty of globs around at the moment, I find them amazing!

Nice stuff, nuff said

Thank you Christopher!

upload it to astrobin and it will solve it for you

Will do - and will report back the findings.

Gav, it's IC 4617, NGC 6207 is much bigger and brighter and twice as far from the centre of M13.

Gav, it's IC 4617, NGC 6207 is much bigger and brighter and twice as far from the centre of M13.

Spot on Mike - I've just done the AstroBin plate solve and it is indeed IC 4617 (mag 15.5).

Thank you Will.

Archived