Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First light Daystar Quark

smerral

Whether the PST mod is better or not is interesting but its not a commercial product so personally it's not directly relevant. I'd certainly be happy with the images posted on solar chat with the Quark. Comparison seems tricky too.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a positive note, a favourable review here on the Quark for visual - what I find particularly interesting is that the owner has a SolarMax 60 Double Stack, which costs over £2k these days:

"The first view words that came out of my mouth were:WOW! Look at That!!!"

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6521411/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1/vc/1

re: underwhelmed, I am not at all! I would be fine if I can get close to some of the images already posted! I think they show detail can be achieved not possible with my 60mm, at a price that's a fraction of the other options - I don't feel I can go the PST mod route, I will leave that to the folks that know what they are doing!

I don't think we should compare the Quark to a PST mod or even compare its performance to a dedicated solar scope, it isn't any of them and isn't intended to be. What it is, is a add on to a night time scope to allow an ordinary unmodified frac to be used to see the sun in Ha. It was never conceived as been a high performance imaging tool, Daystar would point you in the direction of their other [much more expensive] products if that is what you want to do.

It's price point is only a little more than a PST/Lunt 35 and about the same as the incoming Lunt 50 so we have to be realistic.

I am willing to bet if I put a 5x Powermate on my Lunt 60 double stack and tried to image the sun, the results would be similar to those posted here and remember this was only a first try.

Robin

I must admit I have been impressed with the images that have been coming out of the new quark so far and these will only get better as techniques improve I should imagine.

I personally am waiting for the 2x barlow version as the 4.2 is just too much for the scopes I will use it on and my skill levels.

Robin,

I accept your comment....

but even as a "night time scope" add-on, it's not cheap!

I understand the limitations of Quark the f30 beam etc. and I think this will end up either it's success or failure.....

With a very short focal length scope (<500mm fl) I'm sure it is capable of giving "pleasing" visual views of the solar disk even at the f30 or so.

I think there was expectations of Daystar delivering a system which could produce hi-resolution images at the equivalent bandwidth of a standard double stacked etalon. IMHO the current images do no show this capability.

I'd therefore, at this time, recommend the Quark as a casual visual solar attachment only.

I'd therefore, at this time, recommend the Quark as a casual visual solar attachment only. 

I cannot agree.  Even given the results so far, for someone wanting to obtain higher resolution images without buying a dedicated solar scope or performing a mod, the quark seems ideal.  Whether it is a worthy addition to the armoury of those who already have these instruments remains to be seen of course.  Really though, to expect the quark to deliver the same image quality as a 90mm double stack,  given the price difference, is perhaps expecting a little too much?

After all the Hype about the Quark, I too haven't experienced a wow moment when looking at the images, but it is early days. Folks need to test more and find the quirks in the Quark. It is being tested on a varied range of scopes from cheap to expensive, long to short, and sooner or later it will become clear where the Quark performs best. Its not for me, because I already have the means to produce better images, but as a first purchase for close up solar observing it certainly fits the bill.

Some folks are so jealous, Smerral, that you have a Quark and they haven't got one :rolleyes: I'm talking about Sarah and me :D We can't wait to get hold of ours!

I think it will take some time until we can figure out just how the Quark compares to other options. Fair enough if some folks feel that images so far are not in line with the level they are looking for, I did the same thing, really - I waited until I saw some images that for me were good enough for my needs at that price point.

I think Robin makes a great point. The Quark is not intended as a high end imaging option, it offers something different that has strengths and weaknesses compared to other options. I remember reading somewhere that it is for "casual" imaging. It may have been here on the Company Seven site:

"These filters are intended for visual or casual imaging work."
http://www.company7.com/daystar/products.html

Sure, I am hoping to do some higher res imaging with it, but I am also really looking forward to taking the Quark on hols with me for purely visual purposes. One smallish frac, one tiny Lunt 1.25 wedge, some small eyepieces, and a classy little William Optics 1.25 diagonal, and I will have great fun observing the Sun, Moon, planets and the brighter DSO's if the clouds play ball! This will be a recipe for fun!

£800 to be able to do some h-alpha - visual and imaging - with at least three of my scopes. I think I will have a happy tear in my eye when I focus in H-alpha using a quality focuser. Using the helical focuser on my SolarMax 60 - although it works and the price for the scope was fair - is not as lovely and smooth and backlash free as with focusing for white light with my regular fracs :cool:

I have followed a lot of the comments on this thread. There are very varied opinions as to the pros and cons of the Quark. I think that this item will suit some and not others. I do think that £800 is an awful lot for what it is. You could buy a dedicated solar scope for the same, if not less money.

There are a lot of threads on SGL from people asking whether or not such and such a scope of a given f/ ratio would allow them to see/image planets, DSOs, doubles, widefield etc. people respond by saying certain scopes are more suited to one area of this hobby than another. In life as well as this hobby the best advise is to use the right tool for the job.

I do not think the Quark is a panacea. It is something that does a lot of things reasonably, but none of them very well.

I also agree that time and experience will identify, eventually, what setup it is most suited to. I certainly would not advise somebody to purchase a Quark rather than a dedicated solar scope, regardless of the aperture.

Ian

I intend to keep my SolarMax 60, it will definitely do some things better than the Quark, like full disc imaging in one tile with my camera, rapid deployment. Twice in the past week I have popped the scope outdoors and grabbed an image when a small gap appeared in the clouds, before the Quark would have warmed up!

But where I don't follow you is on the awful lot of money / doing no things very well. Have you used a Quark? I don't know myself yet just how good it is, as I haven't used it yet!

I love my double stack PST.  It gives superb contrast.  I will not be getting rid of it. :smiley: However, at 40mm the resolution is limited.  Can someone tell me where I can get 100mm + resolution, (leaving contrast etc. aside for now) without doing a mod and without spending more than £800?

£800 to be able to do some h-alpha - visual and imaging - with at least three of my scopes. I think I will have a happy tear in my eye when I focus in H-alpha using a quality focuser. Using the helical focuser on my SolarMax 60 - although it works and the price for the scope was fair - is not as lovely and smooth and backlash free as with focusing for white light with my regular fracs

Agreed - also about the focuser.  My old rack and pinion ST102 is begging for an upgrade! :laugh:

There appears to be two camps on the Quark now, those that like the idea of the Quark (and these seem to be people who have bought/want one) and everyone else.

Personally I have liked the idea of a Daystar for some time, but the high price tag and the need to image/view at F/30 has always been a stumbling point, but the Quark seems to have changed that. Daystar have been renowned for no sweetspots and I reckon the Quark will be capable of some high mag images in a small package, which doesn't cost the same asa small car.

Like Luke, I am not about to sell my Lunt 60 and I want the Quark to take on holidays with a 80 or 90mm F/5 refractor that I can do white light with as well. If it turns out to be good then it might become my Ha instrument of choice, if not then it will be fun trying it out.

I am not sure I would recommend one to anyone starting out in solar or solar Ha and it might turn out to have a very niche market, but I must admit I thought a PST was a lot of money to look at one star when I started, but I am hooked now.

Robin

Agreed - also about the focuser.  My old rack and pinion ST102 is begging for an upgrade! :laugh:

Do you get backlash with it? That's the main problem with my SolarMax 60's helical - I tend to shoot just past the focus point and I can't nudge it back slightly because of the backlash. I have to rewind past the focus point then go forward again and try not to overshoot. It works, but it's a bit hair-raising on the days with tiny gaps, trying to get a quick focus before the chance has gone! I adore my SolarMax, though, it almost feels part of me :)

Do you get backlash with it?

Not really Luke - but with such a fast scope the focus is absolutely critical - blink and you miss it.  I could do with with a fine tuner, but once you hit focus it stays there.

I am not sure I would recommend one to anyone starting out in solar or solar Ha and it might turn out to have a very niche market, but I must admit I thought a PST was a lot of money to look at one star when I started, but I am hooked now.

Same here Robin.  I also remember when doing PST imaging was considered a bit of a hit and miss affair. I remember looking at the images of the late and sadly missed Jan Timmermans and realising it could be done.

Has anyone tried using the Quark in a dedicated solar scope ? I wonder if the built in etalon in my Lunt would result in a positive contribution  :smiley:

Has anyone tried using the Quark in a dedicated solar scope ? I wonder if the built in etalon in my Lunt would result in a positive contribution  :smiley:

I saw a little mention here Shaun of using a Quark combined with a PST mod if I am reading things correctly. The mention and images are about 60% the way down the page:

http://solartelescopeviewingimaging.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/coming-soon-first-hand-report-by-mike.html

Also it adds some more personal experiences in terms of how folks think it compares to other options - as far as I know, Mike, the author, has a double stack SolarMax 60:

"I use my scopes more for imaging than I do for viewing but what I saw through the eyepiece was impressive , the field is quite narrow compared to my SM 60 but the details were every bit as good . where it exceeds the SM 60 is in the even lighting and absence of any sweet spot ."

Some nice looking images in the post Luke, it appears the Quark will be quite a good investment.

Visually he mentions it was the same as his usual set up so all is sounding pretty positive :laugh:

I got about half an hour's evening sun yesterday (weyhey!) No time to for imaging but I just wanted to play about with the tuning.  Once again the tuning knob was turned clockwise, 3 turns to the red (0.3A) - that looked pretty good.  It was round about that area on my last two attempts.  I'm wondering whether this is going to be some kind of default for my set up, give and take a bit, or is there going to be a wider variation in tuning due to conditions etc?  What kind of parameters are we dealing with here?  Anyway, the view looked pretty good with some nice prominences on view - then the clouds came back.....

According to the manual the Quark is quite sensitive to tilt, so unless it is perfectly square in the telescope, you may need to adjust the tuning.  I am guessing with a 1.25" diagonal, this might always be the case, depending on how heavy the Quark is.

Still once you have got it sorted, it isn't too much to wind it three clicks one way.  I don't suppose it remembers the position?

Robin

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if you can plug it in to heat up before inserting it in the scope (e.g. whilst using the scope for white light)?

this is the link to the battery pack btw:

http://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/Observe-the-Sun/Optical-Accessories/Solar-filters/Daystar-H-Alpha-Eyepiece-Quark-Battery-Pack.html

99 Euros is sort of a good price and I definitely want a battery pack .. however, those photos show it's not specifically for Daystar (says suitable for various smart phones on the packaging) and I found what looks like exactly the same thing for £11.34 (£12.21 if you include a tracking number in the postage):

http://www.gearbest.com/mobile-power-bank/pp_1045.html

the specs of which are:

Capacity (mAh): 30000mAh/111wh

Special Functions: Solar Charger

Connection Type: Micro USB*

Battery type: Li-ion Battery

Material: Metal

Specification Solar panel: 1.5W

Input: 5V-1A

Output: 5V 1A, 5V-2.1A

Dimension and Weight Product weight: 0.23 kg

Package weight: 0.29 kg

Product size (L x W x H) : 12.3 x 7.5 x 2.3 cm

Package size (L x W x H): 21.5 x 11.2 x 2.8 cm

Package Contents Package Contents : 1 x Solar Charger, 1 x USB Cable, 4 x Connector

(the photos show it's micro USB in, 1A usb and 2A usb out.)

or the 99 Euros one:

Power Supply:

Solar Cell, 5 V USB

Connections:

Mini USB, USB

Color:

Magenta

Power:

5 V

Capacity:

30000 mAh

But the one I just ordered was in black, to match the scope. I've never heard of the website before but paid with paypal and it's not much money. If it works, it'll be pretty handy for charging my phone too.

Just an update: my power pack arrived today. It seems solid enough. I only wish I had a quark to try it on. Scs said they're still waiting for Day star to confirm shipment so it could be a while. At least I can use it for my phone though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Just an update.  Yes the Quark does "remember" the position, in that if you pre-set it to the correct position it will be on band once it has warmed up.  The best position for me was 4-5 clicks to the red.  However, I have had a shot at re-aligning the focuser so this may have changed.  I await the sun....

Archived