Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light Daystar Quark

smerral

Hi folks!

I have had the Daystar Quark (chromosphere) over 2 weeks now and I've managed to get out only twice, the weather has been so appalling; the first time I couldn't get focus with the camera and found I needed an extension; the second time I actually managed a few images, even though conditions weren't ideal.  I used a Skywatcher Startravel 102 and a ASI120MM camera.  The last two images were done with a 0.5x reducer.  The first image is definitely off band; I'm getting closer with the last two.  I'm sure they'll improve when I get a chance to practice!  The unit definitely works though and shows promise! :cool:

1dff2f7789f1100fe5ccafa79d266cd4.1824x0_

b80192c5eded981c2e2d417b6c861417.1824x0_

cb9fda7599895fbb22c46684a0e55255.1824x0_

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joseki, I used this extender:

http://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/Revelation_80mm_Extension_Tube_2_.html

Visually, first impressions (and they really are very preliminary impressions) were good - a nice even field.  I did get the impression that there was less contrast than the double stack PST though, but you really need time for tuning.  If the quark has a drawback it is the waiting 5 minutes between each turn of the knob when tuning.  This is certainly not a grab and go set up when you can just nip out and take a quick look - you need a decent day when you can take your time to get on band.  But I'm sure this will deliver some great results with more practice and the development of a suitable work flow for processing the images. :grin:

Interesting observation. I think that raises an important point for me, as I most often use the little LS35 in grab-and-go mode, rushing out during tea or lunch breaks to see the sun, or at home, rushing out to grab a hole in the clouds. That requires a set-up that can be tuned quickly, and retains tuning fairly well. On balance, I might well go for a "Frankenscope" solution

Ok, thanks smerral. I've got a shorter extension tube but I think I was getting confused - that extension is before the Quark rather than between the Quark and the camera I guess. I'm getting more interested in imaging right now so I think the Quark will be ideal for me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Interesting observation. I think that raises an important point for me, as I most often use the little LS35 in grab-and-go mode, rushing out during tea or lunch breaks to see the sun, or at home, rushing out to grab a hole in the clouds. That requires a set-up that can be tuned quickly, and retains tuning fairly well. On balance, I might well go for a "Frankenscope" solution

Yes Michael you may be right.  I wasn't keen on the Frankenscope solution for various reasons, but mainly because  I DO NOT want to disassemble my PST which works brilliantly in DS mode with the SM40.  That still remains for the grab and go.

Ok, thanks smerral. I've got a shorter extension tube but I think I was getting confused - that extension is before the Quark rather than between the Quark and the camera I guess. I'm getting more interested in imaging right now so I think the Quark will be ideal for me.

Yes Joseki it goes before the quark.  Bear in mind also that the quark contains an in-built 4.2x barlow, so it's not for imaging full discs (visually the FD just about fit in the FOV).  I did try some reduction just for curiosity and did get a disc but spherical aberration comes into play with so much reduction.  So the quark is for close up work or mosaics.

FD1.jpg

Very nice report, thanks for sharing. Looks like the Quark can perform as an imaging tool and if the last picture was taken in one shot that is really promising as well. I saw on the Daystar site that you could fit an FR and I was wondering how well it would work. Like Luke and many others I am awaiting my Quark, just got to sort out a scope for it to go on.

Just a couple of questions, did you use an ERF on the 102 or did you get away with the UV/IR filter trick?

I am also interested in the use of an ASI120MM, I had heard reports that you get Newton Rings with this camera, but I can't see any on your pics? I am thinking of buying an ASI120MM for night time and it would be nice if it worked on solar Ha as well.

Thanks

Robin

Its great to see the quark in action :laugh:  Very nice pictures indeed.

I was hoping to get one for visual use but it seem it will be a bit hit and miss with our ever changing weather. Did you get the battery pack as I am interested to know how much one costs ?

Shaun, APM telescopes in Germany has the battery pack listed for 99 Euros, which is less than I was expecting :laugh:

How cool is that that it charges while the Sun is out? :grin:

For me one big plus of the Quark is to use it with bigger telescopes, so while it might not be perfect for the very quickest views, I'd be looking to use it with the big uns on the sunny days first and foremost, and I intend to keep my 60mm h-alpha scope to cover both bases :laugh:

If only having one scope, well that is the tricky question, no right answer in my opinion, more aperture versus more convenience, the eternal question! :shocked:

Its great to see the quark in action :laugh:  Very nice pictures indeed.

I was hoping to get one for visual use but it seem it will be a bit hit and miss with our ever changing weather. Did you get the battery pack as I am interested to know how much one costs ?

I agree Luke, I think I will copy cat you :smiley:  We do get some excellent days in the summer and having the flexibility to suit all conditions has got to be the way forward.

The trouble is I will have to make a tri-mount now :laugh:

99 Euros is very good indeed :shocked:  

I wonder if you can plug it in to heat up before inserting it in the scope (e.g. whilst using the scope for white light)?

this is the link to the battery pack btw:

http://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/Observe-the-Sun/Optical-Accessories/Solar-filters/Daystar-H-Alpha-Eyepiece-Quark-Battery-Pack.html

99 Euros is sort of a good price and I definitely want a battery pack .. however, those photos show it's not specifically for Daystar (says suitable for various smart phones on the packaging) and I found what looks like exactly the same thing for £11.34 (£12.21 if you include a tracking number in the postage):

http://www.gearbest.com/mobile-power-bank/pp_1045.html

the specs of which are:

Capacity (mAh): 30000mAh/111wh
Special Functions: Solar Charger
Connection Type: Micro USB*
Battery type: Li-ion Battery
Material: Metal

Specification

Solar panel: 1.5W
Input: 5V-1A
Output: 5V 1A, 5V-2.1A

Dimension and Weight

Product weight: 0.23 kg
Package weight: 0.29 kg
Product size (L x W x H) : 12.3 x 7.5 x 2.3 cm
Package size (L x W x H): 21.5 x 11.2 x 2.8 cm

Package Contents

Package Contents : 1 x Solar Charger, 1 x USB Cable, 4 x Connector

(the photos show it's micro USB in, 1A usb and 2A usb out.)

or the 99 Euros one:

Power Supply:
Solar Cell, 5 V USB
Connections:
Mini USB, USB
Color:
Magenta
Power:
5 V
Capacity:

30000 mAh

But the one I just ordered was in black, to match the scope.  I've never heard of the website before but paid with paypal and it's not much money.  If it works, it'll be pretty handy for charging my phone too.

I have to be brutally honest here ... I've been very much underwhelmed by the images I've seen so far from the Quark ... :embarassed:  

There's a lot of talk about getting the processing workflow sorted out for the device and I really hope someone nails it soon because from what I've seen published so far it's a bit of a white elephant.

Certainly a topic I shall continue to monitor closely , in the hope that it comes good in the end with the right optical / processing combination.

Steve,

Unfortunately +1 from me....

I think the PST mod gives better results than the images we've seen from the Quark so far....

Underwhelming I must say. My expectations (and I'm sure others) was for tighter, more contrasty high resolution....

The jury, in my opinion, is still out on this one...

I hardly think one quick session with a Quark is enough to condem it. How long did it take people with a PST to produce great results? I know it took me several sessions to get anything out of my PST and the same, if not more out of my double stack Lunt.

Don't forget try imaging at F/30 with anything and see how hard it is. Everything from focus, lack of exposure speed and mount stability are all much harder than at F/5. I think the initial results are encouraging and I am looking forwards to a side by side test with my Lunt with a Barlow attached.

On the subject of batteries, I have just bought one of these for about £40.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/15000mAh-Portable-External-Camcorder-adapters/dp/B00H8L2MIW/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1400937674&sr=8-10&keywords=anker+astro

It will give 12V and 5V USB out so I can power the Quark and my mount at the same time. I won't know if the chip in the battery will actually recognise the Quarkand allow it to draw the full current, but the batteries they sell in the US are just USB batteries so it should work. If it doesn't work I will just get a cheap USB car PSU and use that.

I am hoping to take it on holiday this summer, Quark and white light.

Robin

I'm not condemning it on the back of these images specifically but more voicing an opinion based on all the images I've seen from the device over the last few weeks , none of which have been what I would describe as overly impressive .

I hope there's one on set up at IAS for a visual play though I'm doubtful .

As I said before I hope that the wrinkles are ironed out soon and look forward to seeing your results ...  :laugh:

PS ... I'm well aware that f30+ imaging is pretty testing , if it were easy everyone would be doing it ...  :smiley:

Very nice report, thanks for sharing. Looks like the Quark can perform as an imaging tool and if the last picture was taken in one shot that is really promising as well. I saw on the Daystar site that you could fit an FR and I was wondering how well it would work. Like Luke and many others I am awaiting my Quark, just got to sort out a scope for it to go on.

Just a couple of questions, did you use an ERF on the 102 or did you get away with the UV/IR filter trick?

I am also interested in the use of an ASI120MM, I had heard reports that you get Newton Rings with this camera, but I can't see any on your pics? I am thinking of buying an ASI120MM for night time and it would be nice if it worked on solar Ha as well.

Yes it was one shot Robin - the reduction was too much though as the disc is lacking detail towards the edges because of the CA.

No I did not use an ERF - just a 2" IR/UV blocker

And yes, the ASI120MM is indeed plagued by Newtons rings - the problem seems to vary from camera to camera though.  I used flats on these images to help remove them.  Next time I will try the DMK31.

I must say I don't really agree with Steve's comment above when he says he's underwhelmed.  If I can get anything like some of the images I've seen already from others, I will be happy.  I suppose it depends on what you are comparing it with though.  If you are an advanced high resolution imager with a high level mod then that may be superior, but for me to get this kind of resolution on my existing scope is great. :cool:

I presume some of you are following the quark saga over at solar chat? The latest images are interesting enough. :smiley: I have a feeling that for VISUAL work the quark seems to lack contrast when compared to the PST mods.  I would dearly love to be out there producing more results for everyone, but the astronomer's curse has well and truly struck since I bought it - clouds clouds nothing but clouds! :sad:

Archived