Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

eyepieces, good quality

m37

Hi. I'm coming from a quite expensive (for me, anyway!) imaging rig which I have sold off. Admittedly these bits all went at bargain prices but such is life.

Anyway, I have my eye on a nice simple 250px as it is big enough for my needs and has a pyrex mirror, which is nice for cooling down time.

To get to the point, there doesn't seem to be much to buy for this observation lark and I thought I would put the rest of my money towards some really nice eyepieces.

If I went for a 24mm and a 16mm of the highest quality I could afford, plus a 2x power mate, is there any reason I would ever need anything else? I could go for a short ortho and Barlow for planetary but mainly would a 24 and a 16 plus the powermate giving 12 and 8 cover everything?

I'm nearly 40 so longer than 24/26 is probably near my exit pupil threshold. I wear specs for astigmatism but tend not to wear them for observing.

Cheers

Chris

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depending on how much it bothers you a coma corrector may be a purchase you'll want to consider. I have a 250px and as yet haven't felt the need, although that may change when I can upgrade my EPs to some nice 82° or 100° glass as they're likely to show more coma. The stock focuser isn't fantastic and you may (or may not) want to upgrade that and the dob base benefits no end from a lazy susan bearing IMHO. A wixey and setting circle is also on my list to make dso hunting that bit easier as is some dew control equipment. Filters would be nice too.

As for ep's it seems in my very limited experience its entirely down to personal choice. I have the 25, 15 & 5mm BST's and a 2x focal extender and find they give me a pretty good range but everyone is different.

In short as I've found rather quickly, even for visual there's more stuff to buy than I can really afford! Maybe one day!

Sent from my GTi9300 using random spelling mistake generator!!!!

<<there doesn't seem to be much to buy for this observation lark>>

LOL, you keep telling yourself that sunshine!

personally I'd agree with the coma corrector recommendation. as for eyepieces, it's a very personal thing. here's my logic http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/188794-eyepiece-groups/

plan for a RACI finder, observing seat of some kind, red dot finder and a decent star map too.

I was looking at televue. Yum.

Oh no this is where the 'not much to buy for this observation lark' paradox stops and the shopping list starts.  You have done it now, resist opening the black and green Lemarchand's box  :eek: 

the 250px is known to be quite hard on eyepieces with its f-ratio so I would say get a 300p and some slightly cheaper eyepieces but that's just my 2p :)

That's very interesting, someone else suggested that.

If you can manage the 300p that would be a very good way to go, more light gathering, just remember this is a large scope and setting it up can prove a bit of a pain depending on your situation 

While it will up the price a GoTo Dob may be the way to go, you don't need to use the GoTo but it will keep stuff in the EP FOV while you're off on a tea break, just depends if you want to nudge a bit while you're viewing.....

I think your choice of EPs will be great to get you up and running.

Dependent on your obseving habits, I might be tempted to go a little shorter than the 8mm if the planets and moon are going to fit into the equation, especially on good nights.

I would also suggest that there is a place for something shorter than 8mm, either for lunar/planetary or deep sky. Many globular clusters and planetary nebulae benefit from a bit magnification. I find 5mm useable quite often and 7mm is almost always okay. Split the difference for a nice 6mm or 6-3mm Nagler Zoom perhaps?

I use the 200p at 1200mm focal length, with magnifications up to 200x, and occasionally up to 240x when the conditions allow.

240x will only work 50% of the time.

8mm will get you up to 188x with a 1500mm ten-inch scope.

This will give a reliable and clear views on nearly all of your viewing nights.

I always start off with 165x, and I am never disappointed.

When you decide to go beyond 200x, the Explore Scientific 6.7mm 82 degree will give you 224x magnification.

6mm is 250x, which might be pushing the limits a bit, but will be excellent to view the moon craters.

Plenty of options are available.

I use the 200p at 1200mm focal length, with magnifications up to 200x, and occasionally up to 240x when the conditions allow.

240x will only work 50% of the time.

8mm will get you up to 188x with a 1500mm ten-inch scope.

This will give a reliable and clear views on nearly all of your viewing nights.

I always start off with 165x, and I am never disappointed.

When you decide to go beyond 200x, the Explore Scientific 6.7mm 82 degree will give you 224x magnification.

6mm is 250x, which might be pushing the limits a bit, but will be excellent to view the moon craters.

Plenty of options are available.

The 250PX is 1200mm focal length, same as the 200P Skyliner, rather than 1500mm.

The 250PX is 1200mm focal length, same as the 200P Skyliner, rather than 1500mm.

Well spotted.

I looked up the specs for the 300p after the 12-inch was recommended by several members.

The 250PX will definitely need more than 8mm.

A 6mm and a 5mm will be required.

Now I don't observe planets, but a 6mm in a 10" f/4.5 is not enough on deep sky. That much I'm certain of. I often Barlow my 12mm to 6mm and it's nowhere near enough on globs, specially from somewhere dark.

If you fish around a bit the skyquest comes as a 12 inch solid tube, same optics, specs etc,  just different build, another option to consider.  I am pretty sure they are sold in the UK, just a bit harder to find for reasonably similar price.

Seems widescreen centre only do the intelli one

http://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/Catalogue/Orion_USA_Dobsonian_Reflector_.html

so not sure how easy it is to find. It may take a bit of searching, I meant the classic model like this one

http://telescopes.net/store/09709-orion-skyquest-xt12-classic-dobsonian-telescope.html

as sold in the US. 

edit: seems this site sell them

http://www.scsastro.co.uk/catalogue/orion-skyquest-xt10-classic.htm

but not the 12 inch, perhaps it has been discontinued too ?, I must admit I had no further joy with a quick search, but you could ask them perhaps.

Good luck :smiley:

Archived