Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The old question

JimmyC

I've searched over this forum for a bit but i can't really find much that relates to what i need to ask/find out.

I have a 200P and a 150 Achro and all i've got to use with them at the moment are the supplied 10 and 25 mil eyepieces. They're alright to be fair, but i know that when you get a decent set of EPs it's just like getting a new telescope as the EPs improve the view that much.

The question i'm asking to you more experienced folk:

What eyepieces, with a budget of around £500, with a wide range of magnifications, and highest possible FOV, would you recommend would work well with both of my OTAs? If there's no middle ground, which work best with the frac and which will do best in the 200P?

Thank you in advance!

Leica 17.8 - 8.9mm ASPH zoom

Slightly over your budget but that will give you Pentax XW quality through a range of focal lengths and from what I've read it should work very well in both your scopes.

The Leica 'only' has a 60˚- 80˚ FoV though which is plenty for some but not enough for others, only you can decide how much FoV you prefer.

Thanks for the links. As for preference, I'd like a med/low power eyepiece with a wide field for viewing the likes of open clusters, double cluster etc. I'd like high power for comfortable and detailed views of lunar/planetary. That sort of thing really. I want to be able to observe a range of objects with suitable eyepieces.

I guess i'd be using the frac mostly for clusters and planets due to the sharp images, and the 200P for the faints and fuzzies. 

To change the question slightly... What eyepieces are a good 'jack of all trades'? I've heard good things about BST's and Xcel LX plossls...

Jimmy,

If Saturday night stays promising, as per the forecast, maybe a trip to the dark site will be worth it, you are more than welcome to try some of my eyepieces to give you an idea of the sizes you want. :smiley:

JimmyC.......Hi...........£373 gets you the full set of BST's and a 32mm Panaview. Great value prices, and good EP's  on the Skyliner 200P. The BST's are 60°AFOV and good  eye relief.  The best part for you is that you can try them before you decide to keep them! if their not what you want/like, send them back for a refund. At least you can test them.

Sounds good to me Shaun, I'd be delighted to be able to try some decent eyepieces out! Fingers crossed for the weather....

Ok we can make arrangements through the CMS web  page, I know there is quite a variety of eyepieces used by everyone and I am sure they won't mind you trying them out  :laugh:

Charic's advice is what I would go with. With having two scopes a spread is needed though your scopes are not as diverse as my own. You could get a spread of Maxvisions if there are any left though I think the short end was lacking with these, most available seemed to be 14mm F/L plus.

ExSc do make some very good eyepieces as well but yoy are not going to get more than 3-4 with 500 quid. The other thing that you could do is go for a selection of Televue Plossl eyepieces, will work in any scope and hold their value but only have a small 50 degree FOV when compared to some, but excellent eyepieces and you should be able to buy most of them with your money.

Alan

This site has no rating

Choices choices! I must admit i am tempted by the BSTs, i just wish they had a slightly larger FOV. Oh well, can't have it all! What can people say about the SW and Celestron range? 

Ok we can make arrangements through the CMS web  page, I know there is quite a variety of eyepieces used by everyone and I am sure they won't mind you trying them out  :laugh:

Its not looking so promising now until after midnight :lipsrsealed:

On my 200p Dob, I have 2x Maxvisions / 1x Explore Scientific 82 degree / and 1x Televue Delos.

BST's and Xcel's are popular

Maxvisions are 68 degree - are good, but slightly more expensive than the BST's, with a tighter eye relief for spectacle users, and you can't get a full set (they only go to 16mm)

The Explore Scientific gives you the best value for money. From £90 to £116 taxed and delivered from Ebay USA (Hands-On-Optics, or Agena).

And the Delos is superb. But at £260, you get the 10% improvement at double the cost.

Definitely try out the 82 degree Explore Scientific.

Each one will take a few sessions to get used to.

If you hit on a winner at the try out, you will have your answer.

I would aim for a comfortably wide FoV for the lowest magnification eyepiece (for wider Panoramas)

And try to go wider for the highest magnifications of 180x plus.

It helps to keep the target centred in the eyepiece for longer (unless you have go-to of course)

Hi,

I have the 200p reflector and an ED 100 Pro, with Meade 4000 series plossl's 6.3mm to 26mm and BST 18MM. 12MM & 8MM,

and finally a Panaview 32mm. All of these I purchased used, but in excellent condition for about £270, and I

am perfectly happy with this kit.I have had plenty of 'WOW' moments using them.

I have taken advice from these forums to put this collection together and have not been disappointed.

Of course, I have never looked through the ' higher end' eyepieces, and almost certainly will never possess

them, but i think for a modest outlay, these take some beating.

This site has no rating

Choices choices! I must admit i am tempted by the BSTs, i just wish they had a slightly larger FOV. Oh well, can't have it all! What can people say about the SW and Celestron range? 

Hi Jimmy, the SW and Celestron ranges are OK, but you need to make your choices carefully, others suggested such as ES and TV Plossls are exceptional and work well in all focal lengths and telescope types.  The BST's are also a great choice at a reasonable choice but do not perform so well at faster than f/5, whereas the ES and the TV's work great at any focal ratio.

Out of stock at the moment at hands on optics

http://stores.ebay.com/Hands-on-Optics-Telescopes-and-More/Eyepieces-Barlows-/_i.html?_fsub=5740570015&_sid=3310425&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

And limited stock at Agena (which is normal)

keep looking for the sizes you need.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Agena-AstroProducts/Explore-Scientific-Eyepieces-/_i.html?_fsub=3657065010&_sc=1&_sid=586299390&_sop=10&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Or take advantage of the 10% discount at ES Germany.

10 euro postage costs - but no import tax, and they should be with you in 5-days if they are in stock already.

http://www.explorescientific.co.uk/en/Eyepieces/

Archived