NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Milky Way: Testing New Samyang 16mm f/2

First light for the Samyang 16mm f/2. My first copy had decentering issues and was returned for another copy.  This one looks to be good as it passes the "star test".  All images were taken with the Pentax K-5 IIs DSLR.  Vignetting was not a problem at f/2.8, but at f/2 was moderately visible.  Coma at pixel peeping levels was moderate as well through all the fast apertures.  I am pretty happy with the lens, it is very inexpensive and performed like lenses costing twice as much.  I am looking forward to using this lens throughout the coming summer season.  I hope you enjoy the pics, the weather and sky were very good the other morning and it was good timing as I had just received the lens the evening prior.

This is a single tracked 80 second exposure @ f/2.8 and ISO 1600.

13620763503_74c6105bef_b.jpg

Single tracked 70 seconds f/2.8 ISO 1600

13642458675_3d140b3ab6_b.jpg

Single tracked 80 seconds f/2.8 ISO 1600

13621102964_79b2d66c6e_b.jpg

Thank you all for the comments.  While it is not as ideal as I would have liked it to be, the 16mm f/2 is a workable solution for wide-angle work and can take screw in filters where many lenses like the popular Samyang / Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 cannot.  Sharpness is very good and gives me the full frame 24mm equivalency I was looking for with only moderate barrel distortion that is easily correctable.  I'll be posting more work with it as the year continues.

Thanks again.

Jim

Thanks for posting. I was taken aback at first when i saw you taking "digital" images. I was so used to seeing your stunning analog deep sky stuff.

However reading your blog I understand why you have been away!

Take care of yourself and I look forward to seeing the same standard from your new digital era.

Thanks for posting. I was taken aback at first when i saw you taking "digital" images. I was so used to seeing your stunning analog deep sky stuff.

However reading your blog I understand why you have been away!

Take care of yourself and I look forward to seeing the same standard from your new digital era.

Thank you Michael.  I hope to be able to do both.  My heart is still analog, but if I can render the sky as my mind sees it, then digital might do it.  I am going to try.

Jim

great set of images jim :)  i know this lens is made for crop cameras but do you think it could be used on a fullframe camera as well?

From what I have seen the image circle does increase much by f/8, but likely not enough for full frame.  There would be no fast lens advantage as well.  I will have to put on my 35mm film camera and test this idea.  

Archived