Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Wiltshire

NickH

Hello everyone.

Been interested in Astronomy since the age of 9, I guess the usual route of watching Voyager 2 at Jupiter and Saturn on the TV, and getting a small scope for xmas, combined then with being able to "stay up late" to watch the Sky at Night.

Stayed. with it for about 13 years , then music kind of took over for about 10 more, both professionally in my job, and hobby wise, trying to get signed in a "not too bad" rock/pop group, who sounded like "Then Jericho" (so we were told)

Wifey then as a graduation present for my MA, got me a 130mm reflector, back in about 2001, and that was me hooked again. Since then, been building up the kit to a stage where I am happy with the setup, trying now to finally get my little run of roof observatory built.

Interested in all aspects of imaging, from deep sky, with a pair of parallel mounted refractors, to solar, with a pair of parallel mounted Coronado scopes (CaK and H-Alpha), to planetary with a C11, though the latter has not seen as much use due to the former two hogging the mount, still trying to hone the imaging process with Deep Sky...I can get a bit "over zealous" when it comes to post processing.. :D.

Been very fortunate to have had many of my images published in PA, S@N and AN, and have written occasionally for the latter, most recently the review of the Artemis 4021 (IMHO...a very nice camera). Image with an Artemis 285 (deep sky), and some modified webcams (lunar/solar/planetary). Am one of the co authors on a book on solar observing and imaging, which came out late last year.

Live in a really nice dark site in Wiltshire, give talks and imaging workshops (I stress here, not in the same league as the likes of Tommi Worton/Ian King/Nik Syzmanek...) to local camera and astro clubs from time to time, and help out with the Wiltshire Astronomical Society, as a technical liaison and sort of manager of the website (though this was created by another one of our members.)

Work in the music industry, formerly in product planning and development for almost 10 years, and then in test engineering (though I still pitch in to planning when I see they are making silly mistakes), as the politics of the former drove me nuts, and I was able to test/break almost anything with a MIDI port at will, so my boss put me in charge of doing just that..

Have beta tested new products for Artemis, and a few others...and love seeing what new kit can do..

Very excited about the new Lunt scopes for solar work, and, if the obsy gets finally built (I have a 2 year old daughter who consumes all my spare time at home..:-)), hope to start going through my kit and upgrading bits and bobs..

Am a member of a few forums, mainly active in the solar section on one of them, and generally on the other two...always post under the same name, so quite easy to find..

Not imaged much bar the Sun since mid Dec due to the wonderful weather...

That's it really.

Thanks everyone....a very warm welcome indeed.

I try to stay neutral, and enjoy, and try to contribute to all the forums I am a member of..CN, S@N and UKAI... nice to see many familiar faces here, and hope to see some of you in person at Astrofest.

Archived