NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi, I'm From Bristol!

Victoria

:lol: Hello everyone, my name's Victoria and I'm from Bristol. I've always loved looking up at the sky, especially the night sky :D. I'm not a techie at all, so I'm just interested in learning some names of stars and what I'm likely to see when I look up. I haven't got a telescope, though years ago I did have a smallish one, which was such fun - I found it was very exciting to see the rings of Saturn and some of Jupiter's moons, and the craters on the Moon!

Mars is looking good right now! :D

Hi Victoria,

Welcome to SGL :D

One good way to find your way around the night sky is to buy "Philip's Stargazing 2008" booklet. This contains maps of the sky at a particular time of night for every month of the year, along with an nice explanation of what constellation/planets/meteor showers etc. are visible for that particular month. Also if you take a star chart or planisphere outside it helps to have a red torch which doesn't affect your night vision. If you don't have one I can highly recommend buying a box of Quality Streets, eating the Strawberry Creams and then securing the red cellophane wrapper over a small normal torch using an elastic band. Then go outside, look at the stars and eat the rest of the chocolates, works for me :D

Michelle

Archived