Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My least rubbish Jupiter image of the season!

lukebl

Sorry to sound so self-deprecating, but I've been really disappointed with my Jupiter images this season despite acquiring a nice 12" SCT. I'm sure it's me, not the equipment! Anyway, I captured this image of Io's shadow transit this evening (March 25th 2014) , which I'm reasonably happy with.

Meade 12", 2x TAL Barlow, DFK 21AU618.AS Colour cam. c 3000 frames @ 1/60 sec, 60fps.

13411682375_63ffe60531_n.jpg

Yep Luke, a lovely capture. Can see Io leading its shadow - very nice. Yes Jupiter has been a late bloomer this year! Pity we hadn`t decent seeing around opposition. A lot of people have been disappointed.

Best regards,

Ralph

I think it's a good effort too.  Even on the rare occasions the sky has been clear this apparition, the seeing seems in the main to have been very poor.  It's made it very hard to get into one's stride.

James

Nothing wrong with that capture and process Luke, a very nice result - seeing is 75% at least.   However, it might be worth experimenting with a different barlow.   I know that Tal's are generally well regarded, but in my own experience I have recently discovered that not all barlows are created equal, even those which are generally well reviewed!

It is frustrating when you know the kit can deliver more, but conditions don't play ball - though sure this will deliver the goods with time.

Thanks for the encouragement folks! The eyeball view of Jupiter through the 12" was great and certainly better than my 10" Newt, so I guess it's something in the imaging train that's not performing. Maybe it is the Tal Barlow, although I need to seriously rein in my spending a bit.

Archived