SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Suggestions for SW3

Mr Flibble

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fingers crossed for at least one night tich but it's not looking good at the moment,any how's tomorrow nights looking like a great observing night up therein pencielli, hope you've brought the camera to show us

It'll be great if you can pop in to visit so keeping fingers crossed that you can make it, as for pictures well I have been taking a few on this thread starting at page 13

Well against my better judgement I have decided to go. The cars packed with the heavy gear, (thank you neighbour) just hitch up the trailer in the morning and Pencelli here I come.

Tich could you now make that two for tea please. :grin:

iv been testing this evening the coleman mantal lamp on pure naptha (panel wipe) and well.... lets just say it might not be coming with me haha..... imagine "fireball"  close call with the eyebrows and every one in the workshop (as we were keying a range rover down tonight for spraying this week) rolling over the floor laughing.   but it was ok, my mate came along finially with a fire extinguisher to put it out.... after i turned off the power..... better late than never i suppose...      

next test tomorrow will be my coleman duel hob cooker............ and got a nice new awning coming too :)     just need to wire the pump and the lights to the new powersupply and it be all good :)

lol coleman fuel is pure naptha.... or white gas but where i get 10l for £12 of panel wipe coleman is 1l for £7......    but i havent got the knack yet for lighting it..... id only done it on petrol before and that burns nicely only problem is cleaning the generator afterwards, i tried dismantling it to soak it in thinners and it was a right pain.

Can you post a photo of the Coleman lamp you have. ?

There should be lighting instructions on a metal disc attached to the round knob on the fuel valve.

The way I light mine is to rotate the wire lever for the generator until the needle valve shuts off the fuel, turn the valve on about 1/4 turn, put a flame to the ( pre-burned ) mantle, then open the generator by rotating the needle valve.

Edit:This way, just enough fuel is supplied to light the lamp without blowing out the mantle/s.

Those folding ovens are nice. Coleman has made some good products over the years, products that are reliable and last. Several years ago I saw a "Thermos brand" stainless steel mesh globe for sale in a sporting goods shop. It was twice the price of the price of a glass one. I thought, what a great idea so I bought one, and later a spare.  There's only a slight loss in light output, which seems to just take the edge off of the glare; a win win situation, and no glass to worry about. :smiley:   

I like the folding oven as it comes in handy although they aren't easy to get here in the UK, they sometimes come up on eBay but 9 times out of 10 they are way inflated price wise.

Archived