Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Evostar 102 & Skywatcher Evostar Pro ED100

Hi,

Just a thought, regarding only observing use, not imaging.

has anyone compared these telescopes in the title,

(the Evostar 102 is significantly cheaper)

is their much differeance in image quality?

or/and  is just about colour correction for imaging why you would want tobuy the Evostar Pro?

Thanks

Steve

I have looked through the Celestron Omni 102 xlt which, I think, is basically  the same scope. The views were very good although there was a little false colour. The 100 ed's are very well thought of and would probably cope with higher mag a bit better.  I guess it would come down to how you intended to use it?  :smiley:

Hi Steve, there will be good colour correction in the Evostar Pro 100 ED, that's the reason it costs more, but well worth it for the quality of the image you see. It's not about imaging, this telescope is made for pristine visual observing, if that's what you want.  That's what I went for, of course.

I've owned an ED100 and it's a lovely scope to use. I found it would usefully use a little more power than the achromat equivalent but not massively so as, at the end of the day, it's still a 10cm aperture scope. I own an ED120 now and thats great too !

If you would prefer an achromat or would like to save some £'s too the TAL 100 achromat is a really nice example and, in my opinion, optically a bit better than the Evostar 102.

I owned the non ed 120 version, and whilst the views of clusters and dso's were good, the views of very bright objects were affected by CA to the point where I couldn't "ignore".

Thanks for the replies, geat to hear the ED80 pro can handle magnification for the extra cost.

I have an ED80 Pro and am very pleased with it. (visual oberving use only).

I'm just wondering, should I also buy a 100ED Pro? or is this me being extravagent?

(basically in hindsight now that i like the ED80 Pro , maybe i should have brought the ED100 instead (for obersving)?

or should i just stick with what is working really well and producing the results.

Steve

Owned the Evostar 102, 120 and 150, plus the Tal 100RS and Vixen 102m. The Tal and Vixen were a step up from the Evostar. I preferred the Vixen 102m over the Tal 100RS but seen others post vice versa. For achros both are very good indeed. All the Evostars i owned showed noticebly more CA  than the Vixen or Tal. And while the view was still nice it totally lacked the crispness of the ED100. I thought the view through the Vixen was superb until i ran it side by side with the ED100.

Thanks for the replies, geat to hear the ED80 pro can handle magnification for the extra cost.

I have an ED80 Pro and am very pleased with it. (visual oberving use only).

I'm just wondering, should I also buy a 100ED Pro? or is this me being extravagent?

(basically in hindsight now that i like the ED80 Pro , maybe i should have brought the ED100 instead (for obersving)?

or should i just stick with what is working really well and producing the results.

Steve

I think the extra 20mm are well worth having for visual observing. I've owned a number of 80mm and 90mm scopes but I found they lacked a certain "oomph" on the planets and even more so on deep sky objects. I now find 100mm the minimum aperture that delivers satisfying views of a range of objects.

These are just my tastes though and I'm sure others will have different ones  :smiley:

Archived