NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

16" Dob

Beulah

Giving my 16" Dob some TLC tonight - just removed the primary and about about to flock it...wish me luck, I may be some time...

Did you know I am actually small enough to crawl inside the OTA?

Anyone else been brave enough to flock their monster dob?

The new measure of the 'correct size' dob is now whether you can fit in the tube or not  :grin:

Might have to get rid of this 14" mirror i have under my bed as i'd need a good 20" tube to get inside  :laugh:

just removed the primary and about about to flock it...

Errr , , hang on , , ,

dont you mean , , ,

:)

Dave_D  Might have to get rid of this 14" mirror i have under my bed as i'd need a good 20" tube

Bags I the 14, , ,

oh drat,

casts away the tape measure and stamps feet :(

I flocked my 16 last year using some 900mm wide by 2m long dc -fix I got off the web. I started by stripping the whole tube of everything which made things easier and then I started at the central seam then worked out from there. Make sure you have a shart craft knifr to trim the fabric and only peel the backing off as you go.

by the way, which 16 inch do you have ?

cheers

Just finished flocking mine last night, also fitted a re reinforcing tube to help the New feathertouch, nightmare to do. I had to lie flat on the floor in the garage and use 1 arm, happy it's done though

sent from my Sony Xperia

What does flocking mean ??

:)

I feel your pain !

One of those things one just knows, but knows not why one knows it !

At first I thought I would give you a google link "to flock" with the certainty that a subsequent wiki disambiguation would result in the holy grail.

How wrong I was !

Eventually I came up with a google on "flock texture"

silly me shudav thort of that first !

Which led to :

"Flocking is the process of depositing many small fiber particles (called flock) onto a surface.

blah

and low reflectivity. etc. "

or even fibre !

Ding !  - - low reflectivity surface

OR

to cut to the chase,

to coat the inner and/or reflective surfaces with an irregular material to reduce internal interference from

etc

extraneous light

etc&etc

Astronymonkey, I have the 400p Skywatcher Amish version...

Couldn't afford the GOTO...

Bottom half has been flocked - I needed a torch in there even in daylight!

It's a good excuse to give the scope a proper service; Wash mirrors, check fixtures & fittings.

From past experience the flocking paper sheds fibre so get a cleaned brush attachment on that hoover nozzle and give the installed paper a good vacuum before replacing the mirror!

Swamp thing (Steve),

I found that flocking my other dobs had made a difference on making DSOs more 'contrasty' - wouldn't boast of a massive difference but it is noticeable. That extra (approx) 10% improvement in contrast I detect is well worth the effort.

Archived