Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Oh dear i should not have done that!

Daniel-K

last night before we was leaving the forest Mike had 6MM Delos on M13. I stupidly looked through it :icon_eek: i think i now need one ! the whole EP was filled with stars the background was black, been a long time since ive seen a glob look that good. i have 13MMT6 incoming this week from starfox. i can see me off loading the 18MM ES as well and getting the 17.3MM Delos.Mike what have you done! i have some soul searching to do before my next trip.

Dan

greetings

This situation call for special action, first remove tripod from tube and place tube is a safe location then secondly hit mike with tripod several times or until arms ache! lastly drink coffee and plan next outing with new EP!!

Andy

this is a problem i have, i love the 18MM ES82 its my main EP for viewing fuzzies and i love the wide FOV but now im finding the ER a tad tight. I like the 17MM delos i also got to look through one but do i dare get a 6MM :confused:  maybe a 10MM but would i then regret not getting anything with more power.

I did warn you about the 18mm es eye relief,it is an acquired taste.seems like a backward step going from 82° to 70° though

maybe so but at the time it was my first EP with the 14" to get me going  and at a good price.now im ready to move on to better things so to speak

this is a problem i have, i love the 18MM ES82 its my main EP for viewing fuzzies and i love the wide FOV but now im finding the ER a tad tight. I like the 17MM delos i also got to look through one but do i dare get a 6MM :confused:  maybe a 10MM but would i then regret not getting anything with more power.

I've got the 17.3mm, 14mm and 10mm Delos, I've also just sold a 8mm Delos because I just didnt use it enough, I use the 17.3mm and 14mm for most of my DSO observing and even the 10mm only gives x189 which still isnt much!

I have just bought Alans Powermate though which will cover all the high power I need.

If you like the 18mm ES you'll love the 17.3mm Delos. :)

last night before we was leaving the forest Mike had 6MM Delos on M13. I stupidly looked through it :icon_eek: i think i now need one ! the whole EP was filled with stars the background was black, been a long time since ive seen a glob look that good. i have 13MMT6 incoming this week from starfox. i can see me off loading the 18MM ES as well and getting the 17.3MM Delos.Mike what have you done! i have some soul searching to do before my next trip.

Dan

dont be silly dan, just get the 6mm, 266x on globs is great, and look how good saturn and jupiter were as well, and saying that how good were the colours in the ring with the 14mm. just get both, you no you want to :grin:

dont be silly dan, just get the 6mm, 266x on globs is great, and look how good saturn and jupiter were as well, and saying that how good were the colours in the ring with the 14mm. just get both, you no you want to :grin:

Mike brace yourself cause when SWMBO goes to use the overtime money its going to be gone and your getting the blame :D i have the 13MM T6 Nag coming, i couldnt say no at the price. so im guessing its going to have to be a 17.3MM if can find one on the 2ND hand market :rolleyes: why do retailers make so many nice toys!

Alternatively keep a look out for a second hand 7mm nagler T6. They do come up fairly frequently. Will balance with your 13mm T6, a nice wide, high power, field for clusters, though the eye relief will be a little tighter than the delos. Cant go wrong with either choice.

Something I remember swampthing saying ages ago was how good Powermates are for doubling your EP case, I've never really been keen on barlows in the past because its just something else to juggle with in the dark but if you get a couple good mid power EP's you'll also have your high power covered with a Powermate/good barlow.

Makes sense to me....Just took a while for it to sink in!  :grin:

Dan, personally I got nothing against the things barlow or powermate, but you may want to consider  if you ever get a paracorr or other coma corrector, some barlows will not even sink deep enough I gather, so cannot be used without touching the lower element of a paracorr but not sure on that.  Worth thinking about now to plan out for the future. 

You will also have all that extra stuuuffff in the focuser and tons of elements, eyepiece, barlow and coma corrector. It is lot of extra and if you have a 2 inch Barlow and bigger eyepieces it may get a bit much perhaps.   It is one of my reasons for not wanting to go the barlow route and get the eyepieces I need/want since eventually that paracorr will arrive in the case. 

Alex raises a good point. I built my scope deliberately to handle huge changes in eyepiece weight without needing any counterweights.

Most dobs cannot handle the sort of weight changes mine does without needing serious counterweighting measures.

well i got my T6 13MM Nagler yesterday and now i have offloaded the ES 18MM 82*  im just waiting on an email back form a chap about the 17.3MM Delos as he put it to one side for me so it should be here next week :) looks i'll have some groveling to do to MRS K when it comes in the post. i'll have to be good for a month and see if i can get a 8MM.

Alan yes i had the 8MM in the 250PX i had it gave some of the best views of jupiter ive had so im going to give it another go. hopefully by xmas i will have a nice little green collection going. but first im treating my fambo to a holiday in september :D then i can really start  buying more bits

Gerry I find something similar with the Radian funnily enough as you discussed in the other thread about your experience with the ortho, that sometimes criticised warmth  and non neutral colour sometimes coined the "coffee colour" of the TV, I actually love for planets like Jupiter. The altogether brighter throughput and ultimate crisp clarity of the ortho is something to cherish for the finest details, yet overall for Jupiter I prefer the radian for bringing out the tones of the red spot and bands with its altogether slightly darker rendition too, and the tints on the moons as well. The effect is almost like a subtle filter that the radian has that helps on Jupiter. Mars/moon I find role reversal on the few times I tried so far. 

I assume the Delos is probably is more neutral than the Radian, but perhaps not as neutral as the ortho in turn I guess. 

Sorry for the OT.  Have fun with the nagler Dan, no doubt you'll be a happy chappy   :smiley:

Archived