First post (First Light)

Johnofleeswood

Hi

Just joined the group and have always been interested in all aspects of the natural world and have now turned to astronomy in a more serious manner i.e. I have purchased a Skywatcher 200P-DS and an HEQ5 Pro Goto setup from FLO (I am sitting at my window typing this and keeping an eye out for the Fedex van :laugh: ). I decided on this setup after reading the Astobaby web site which I find to have some interesting and informative articles.

I am 67 years old and both my son and his wife are expecting their first child any day now (Excuse number one to my wife for buying all the boys toys) Granddad will teach the little ones all about the night sky :wink:  :wink: .

My Daughter is also expecting her first in June so he will also be an astronomer if I have my way :smiley: .

I am also into birding and have a Swarovski 65mm spotting scope has anyone used one piggyback with a camera?

Hope I haven't rambled on too much.

Thanks for reading

John Calder

Mold 

North Wales

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi John welcome to the lounge,

you will enjoy showing your grandchildren the night sky, I show my 8 year old

grandson the planets, he loves them, he's not that impressed with DSO's, but

that will come in time, have a great time with your new kit.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Thanks for the welcomes everybody :smiley:

I am jumping the gun as far as grand children are concerned we have been waiting over a week for some news about our son David and his wife Joanne who are expecting our first grandson any minute now but it does give me some time to set up the scope what with RA and Dec setting circles, polar alignment etc. The scope arrived from FLO late this afternoon so have only taken it out of it box.

No damage as far as I can see, have fixed the mount to the tripod and one thing I have noticed at 51 degrees north I will have to raise the tripod to make it comfortable to get polaris in the polar scope :smiley:

Regards to all

John

Hi John and welcome to the forum.  Congratulations on ordering a great scope and mount - some nice big boxes to open when they arrive. :grin: Does this mean that you are going to be a Grandad or have other offspring bequeathed you that title already - if not congratulations to you in advance.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here

James

p.s Astro Baby (Mel) site contains a lot of great information and is a very worthwhile resource.

Hi John and welcome to the forum.  Congratulations on ordering a great scope and mount - some nice big boxes to open when they arrive. :grin: Does this mean that you are going to be a Grandad or have other offspring bequeathed you that title already - if not congratulations to you in advance.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here

James

p.s Astro Baby (Mel) site contains a lot of great information and is a very worthwhile resource.

Thank you James, when this baby finally arrives I will be a granddad for the first time, I have two kids son David and daughter Helen both in their 30's both got married in the same year (expensive) and now both having their first children in the same year one imminently and one in June. Opened the boxes this afternoon lovely jubbly.

I have read Astro Babies web site and it is excellent and bookmarked :smiley:  in fact it was her experience with the Skywatcher that set me on the same track.

John

Archived