NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Io transit this evening - (9th March)

Barv

Hi

I got this one this evening which I was quite pleased with. The shadow has a browny haze around it which was on all of my captures, - does anyone know what it is? 

Comments and criticism welcome!

Thanks for looking.

post-32779-0-52827500-1394403987_thumb.p

Wow! very nice.  I had a bash at this but I'm afraid my results were less impressive.  I did get the double transit though just after 8pm.  The image of Jupiter is much worse than I managed last time I tried.  I think the seeing was pretty bad but maybe it was me.

post-31286-0-50286000-1394405113_thumb.j

Wow! very nice.  I had a bash at this but I'm afraid my results were less impressive.  I did get the double transit though just after 8pm.  The image of Jupiter is much worse than I managed last time I tried.  I think the seeing was pretty bad but maybe it was me.

I think the seeing was going off the later it got! Thanks though!

Regards

Harvey

The shadow has a browny haze around it which was on all of my captures, - does anyone know what it is? 

Comments and criticism welcome!

Thats great.  Io looks very spherical / 3 dimensional. 

The 'browny' haze (to me) looks very much the same color as the GRS, this wasn't a coincidental surface feature of planet at the time of the capture was it?  Interesting to see images taken before and after your image to see if there was a smaller cyclone feature at the time.  I don't image so I am not qualified to say if the haze is actually an artifact rather than a real observable feature.

I watched the transit and it looked stunning by the way. 

Very good detail Harvey good seeing makes such a difference. RGB auto balance improves the colour though it still has some red false colour showing. What does the unsharpened stacked image look like?

Interesting question Stuart. The colour is right on the original. Somewhere in my processing trail I seem to get this change of colour, and I haven'y yet worked out where it is it happens. I use image analyser and I think it might be when I use the vibrance selection, I will have to check this. As I am sure you're aware you tend to use the same processing basics through to the final image and I think a lot of us become blinkered to a routine. In my case this is true and the image is changing colour on a very gradual basis until at the end it is more noticable! 

Kind regards

Harvey

A good effort Harvey! :)

Folks rgb align the moons separately to the planet and get the rgb align & rgb balance of the planet as they would want it then edit>paste the aligned moon in, it is often well-nigh impossible to get the moon & planet rgb aligned at the same time.....you can do something similar with the shadow (cheat a bit by enlarging it miniscularly, crop it from this image and paste into the good planet image - they are after all stacks so it's a moot point and not a purist situation..! :)

Thats great.  Io looks very spherical / 3 dimensional. 

The 'browny' haze (to me) looks very much the same color as the GRS, this wasn't a coincidental surface feature of planet at the time of the capture was it?  Interesting to see images taken before and after your image to see if there was a smaller cyclone feature at the time.  I don't image so I am not qualified to say if the haze is actually an artifact rather than a real observable feature.

I watched the transit and it looked stunning by the way. 

Nobody has come back to me about that haze, I guess no one knows. Personally I think it's probably some kind of atmospheric dispersion. My gut feeling is that if we went there we wouldn't see it! Thanks for your input anyway!

Regards

Harvey

A very nice image indeed Harvey and a lovely capture of Io on its travels! Great effort :smiley:

Best regards,

Ralph

Archived