Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

18" Vs M42 !

estwing

just come in from a cracker of a session...first off sneek at the moon before dark and as always a joy along the terminator...Jupiter next but it was showing a slight ghost to the side...tweek to the mirror and its right what people say, the collimation has to bang on at F4 or below..now its crisp and pin sharp...bands where plain to see and steady seeing was to be had...next up M44, when this is about its always worth a look, I find this very pleasing on the eye..swinging round to M51 to try and get any spirals from the back garden!! alas no..but grey haze was to be found..Bodes is a quick hop and this was a real squeeze in the 21Ethos (which was the only eyepiece I used for all objects) the supernova appeared to be a little brighter tonight to my surprise?!..now you may not belive this but I bagged the leo triplet tonight! this has been a thorn in my side for sometime..not anymore!!!..the scope is butter smooth to move and has been from day one (thanks again Shane)..next up M35 in Gemini..scattered stars here but there's a little surprise NGC 2158 to the top left can be seen..so onto M42..now there's a lot of moon close by so I didn't expect much..wrong! the amount of bat wing and gas cloud in the eyepiece was outstanding when you think I'm viewing from a back garden 10 miles from Stoke-on-Trent. It was like 3D..(what a mirror!)..the detail and structure that was hitting my eye blew me away...and there was a hint of a blue and greenish haze, I have never seen colour before and I thought I was one of those people who couldn't but I have and I felt like I did when I first started this hobby 28 yrs ago. Brilliant. calv.

last night has really got me dreaming about the possible views from good dark skies... :happy7:

Do give it a try! If your normal site makes the Triplet difficult you have a lot still to come, you really do. All three components, including the faint 'Hamburger' galaxy, were visible in an 85mm Apo last time I tried from here and my eyes aren't great.)

Great report full of the joys of a nice big scope!

Olly

I've seen your garden Calv and I think you're being a tad critical. whilst not a dark sky site, most members here would kill for your horison :D. nice report mate, glad you had a great night. 

A4E wekend coming up soon, and Ive booked a van if you're interested 

Fantastic report Calv, energy and enthusiasm abound - and I recognise the positive charge from a good nights viewing.

I caught most of these visually last week at IOW Star Party, though not m51 or discernible colour in M42 - though was limited to 8" here. Though I had an amazing 2hrs with Owen and the big obsession and caught serious aperture fever :)

Glad to here that the moonshane dob is getting some good nights - hopefully a dark sky outing very soon.

typed on my mobile with Tapatalk

last night has really got me dreaming about the possible views from good dark skies... :happy7:

When you go to a dark site I think you should rig up some kind of chin support to stop your jaw hitting the ground to hard when you use that beast in good skies! :)

Got to a reasonable dark site in the week myself. Forgot my star atkas :BangHead:

Never seen so many galaxies in the dipper bowl in my life. God knows what NGCnumbers they were though :cheesy: darn things were everywhere.

Wait until you cruise over to Virgo and coma :eek:

Glad your enjoying large aperture observing.....it's fun huh :)

Do give it a try! If your normal site makes the Triplet difficult you have a lot still to come, you really do. All three components, including the faint 'Hamburger' galaxy, were visible in an 85mm Apo last time I tried from here and my eyes aren't great.)

Great report full of the joys of a nice big scope!

Olly

its not my sky Olly, its my star hopping!!

Good read and very refreshing account with your new scope. Had to miss last night, though looks excellent here for Tuesday evening and with a couple of mid week days off, I anticipate a drive out session, though the moon will be at its gibbous phase, hey ho.

Archived