Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Atik 314L adapter cold welded

Hello my atik 314L adapter (male) Is not unscrewing, from the front of the camera, iv tried putting a large amount of force on it and it's not budging, the only way to get a good purchase on it is to hold the red casing, but I'm scared incase the casing seperates from the black part, anyone have any ideas how I can remove it without damaging the camera?

Got the adapter out this morning, heated up the black part slowly with my girlfriends hair dryer, used the locking ring and screwed another adapter on the end and locked them against each other to get a good purchase on it, then used yellow 'washing dishes' gloves and it poped with a large amount of force on it, thanks for all the advice everyone! 

A rub on a candle, dab of silicon or rub a pencil nib along the threads. It just needs something to provide a bit of lubrication to stick the ally sticking.

I wish that I had known this BEFORE my collection of stuck-together adapters grew to the current proportions... :mad: :mad:

+1 for rubber gloves, they can handle about 90% of cold welds.

But, when that doesnt work, Ive either had to use pliers (softened with tape so no metal-metal contact) - or the most extreme cases require a hacksaw to cut two notches in the thread, which you then insert a bit of flat metal or a tool, then give it a twist. That last one has rescued stuff that I was sure was doomed.

To prevent (or reduce) this, use some boot polish on the threads - and try to refrain from tightening things up so much

A rub on a candle, dab of silicon or rub a pencil nib along the threads. It just needs something to provide a bit of lubrication to stick the ally sticking.

I wish that I had known this BEFORE my collection of stuck-together adapters grew to the current proportions... :mad: :mad:

Mine's bigger, mine's bigger!!!! Yah Boo.

Olly

• 6 months later...

Archived