NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

High pressure. Eek!

ronin

Yes, I was looking on TWO earlier (below)

Wednesday to Saturday :eek:. Remember the end of March 2 years ago?

Great week but it was very tiring :grin:

TWO also had that predicted over a week in advance and it was spot on, so I'm hopeful for this.

post-12649-0-75535900-1394133859_thumb.j

As far as I know, all high pressure means is that the weather will remain settled. So that means the weather may be cloudy or sunny (and remain so until the high pressure system dissipates or moves).

Typical conditions[edit]

The subtropical ridge shows up as a large area of black (dryness) on this water vapor satellite image from September 2000

Highs are frequently associated with light winds at the surface and subsidence through the lower portion of the troposphere. In general, subsidence will dry out an air mass by adiabatic, or compressional, heating.[8] Thus, high pressure typically brings clear skies.[9] During the day, since no clouds are present to reflect sunlight, there is more incoming shortwave solar radiation and temperatures rise. At night, the absence of clouds means that outgoing longwave radiation (i.e. heat energy from the surface) is not absorbed, giving cooler diurnal low temperatures in all seasons. When surface winds become light, the subsidence produced directly under a high-pressure system can lead to a build up of particulates in urban areas under the ridge, leading to widespread haze.[10] If the low level relative humidity rises towards 100 percent overnight, fog can form.[11]

Typical conditions[edit]

The subtropical ridge shows up as a large area of black (dryness) on this water vapor satellite image from September 2000

Highs are frequently associated with light winds at the surface and subsidence through the lower portion of the troposphere. In general, subsidence will dry out an air mass by adiabatic, or compressional, heating.[8] Thus, high pressure typically brings clear skies.[9] During the day, since no clouds are present to reflect sunlight, there is more incoming shortwave solar radiation and temperatures rise. At night, the absence of clouds means that outgoing longwave radiation (i.e. heat energy from the surface) is not absorbed, giving cooler diurnal low temperatures in all seasons. When surface winds become light, the subsidence produced directly under a high-pressure system can lead to a build up of particulates in urban areas under the ridge, leading to widespread haze.[10] If the low level relative humidity rises towards 100 percent overnight, fog can form.[11]

I don't mean to be rude but is that a forecast off yes minster? - :)

Wednesday to Saturday :eek:. Remember the end of March 2 years ago?

I think I was out seven nights out of eight back then.  I was so tired by the end of it I was starting to hallucinate :)

James

I think I was out seven nights out of eight back then.  I was so tired by the end of it I was starting to hallucinate :)

James

Yes, I think I was out over 8 hours per night.  (Being self employed and working from home has its benefits!)

I've just dug up the post I made at the time, of the TWO weather prediction.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/141810-wowforecasted-cloud-cover-mon-26th-sun-1st/

Happy days, but that's when I realised that hankering after Olly Penrice's lifestyle and actually trying to live it, (albeit for just a week), are two totally different things!

What did I tell you!

Developing high pressure, now a 100% layer of Stratus cloud drifting in off the North Sea. I hate anticyclones at this time of year.

Again, like I said. The local forecast now is for low cloud for a couple of days, then thick fog. Oh how I hate anticyclones. And the TV weather clones cheerily tell us that at least it will be dry. I hate them.

Again, like I said. The local forecast now is for low cloud for a couple of days, then thick fog. Oh how I hate anticyclones. And the TV weather clones cheerily tell us that at least it will be dry. I hate them.

Soon have a hosepipe ban in Norfolk then :)

Dave

Hmm... i wish it would move. Sunny midday to early evening. Then clouds over, overnight.

Following same form today too. getting some Sun stuff done, but precious little nighttime observing.

Archived