Hi All, From Thanet Astronomy Group

Thanet Astronomy Group

Hi All,

I was looking through google today, to see how well our site was doing and found an old 2008 post (topic/26853-calling-any-astronomers-in-or-near-thanet/ ) about no astronomy going on in Thanet. This was true in 2008 !

We decided to do something about this and hence :-  Thanet Astronomy Group.

We are a newish group aimed at the Absolute Beginner.  It became clear to us that there is a big problem for people entering this subject; attending your first few meetings !

We must all remember this. You arrive and its all a bit overwhelming. You don't know were to start, or what to ask. In fact it seems like you don't know anything.

Thanet Astronomy Group is filling this gap.  Our group is growing at an ever increasing rate (some weeks over 20 new people).

We produced a set of three presentations on StarGazing, to help people over the first thousand questions - and this was twice over subscribed before it even started. So there is a need out there for a group like us.

Have a look at our web site, there is a lot of info about us there to get anyone started.

Our Web Site is www.thanetastronomygroup.com

We Look forward to your comments.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi from me ,and welcome to Sgl not sure if your post could be classed as poaching for members or looking to gain members ,have your read Sgl TOS. I could be wrong if so I,apologise in advance and would ask mods to remove my post

Pat

Hi from me ,and welcome to Sgl not sure if your post could be classed as poaching for members or looking to gain members ,have your read Sgl TOS. I could be wrong if so I,apologise in advance and would ask mods to remove my post

Pat

Hi Pat,

Thanks for your comment.

Yes I had a good read of the TOS and did not think there was any problems with the post. I also noted that there were other groups that had joined Sgl. The post was about the old 2008 post, calling for any astronomy happening in Thanet.

If there is a problem I would be happy to edit or remove the post.

Danny.

...not sure if your post could be classed as poaching for members or looking to gain members ,have your read Sgl TOS. 

When someone joins only for publicity and promotion we usually remove the post but this appears to be a traditional non-profit astronomy society so we'll turn a blind eye, welcome them to SGL and wish them well  :police:

We are assuming they are not planning any more adverts. 

There is no need Pat because you were right in what you said, we don't normally allow advertising. But the rules are not hard and fast and where a group is not a forum and is not commercial we often make exceptions. 

Hi and welcome to the lounge,

S G L is a great forum for help advice and a little banter, your group is 

aimed at hands on, which is a good idea for your local area, my local

group is a long way to travel, it's good to see your helping nubies, we need

all the help we can get.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Archived