Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

LOL every streetlamp around me is off tonight

oldpink

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They replaced the lamps on my street, there are two less than there used to be, however the new ones are taller by 50% than the old ones and are a strange yellowy pink colour and quite bright. 

Result being that the overspill now reaches up to the front door rather than stopping at the bottom of the drive like the good old days.

Since they relaced the power lines from overhead to underground cabling, there hasnt been a power cut for over a year.

Some people have all the luck  :sad:

They replaced the lamps on my street, there are two less than there used to be, however the new ones are taller by 50% than the old ones and are a strange yellowy pink colour and quite bright. 

Result being that the overspill now reaches up to the front door rather than stopping at the bottom of the drive like the good old days.

Since they relaced the power lines from overhead to underground cabling, there hasnt been a power cut for over a year.

I genuinely feel sorry for you... the council have no consideration for astronomers at all!! :( 

I managed to get the local council to shade the two lights outside our place. After a couple of false starts they finally got the shades in the right places. Then someone complained that it made the road dark so they moved them. The shade on the eastern light now faces West and the one on the western light faces East! Consequence, the road outside our bungalow is even darker than before and our back garden is lit up like a football pitch during an evening home game again! I can actually read my astronomy magazines by the light at the bottom of our back garden which must be at least 150 feet from the offending light!

I genuinely feel sorry for you... the council have no consideration for astronomers at all!! :(

No consideration at all, I need a telescope to see one of these fabled modern technological devices !

Waves to Jessica and James,

oh drat, you cant see me, no street lighting here  :) :) :)

No consideration at all, I need a telescope to see one of these fabled modern technological devices !

Waves to Jessica and James,

oh drat, you cant see me, no street lighting here  :) :) :)

I wave back anyway! I tell you what i won't be so smug if i end up moving into the center of Exeter which is likely.... :( 

if i end up moving into the center of Exeter which is likely

oh ho that doesnt sound good, quick man the barricades, , , or woman them, or summat but be quick about it !

To Oldpink,-- sorry to add insult to the injury but here the rain has stopped, the clouds have parted and I can see stars !

(my wife is looking over my shoulder and says I am being cruel ! )

What is even worse is that my council does not give me any rebate for the lack of these wonders and AND ha! in about 4 hrs time they switch off the ones that could be seen in a telescope, hows that for consideration, tut :)

I'm sure those bright lights are affecting your sleep, complain to the council.......... :evil:

oh ho that doesnt sound good, quick man the barricades, , , or woman them, or summat but be quick about it !

To Oldpink,-- sorry to add insult to the injury but here the rain has stopped, the clouds have parted and I can see stars !

(my wife is looking over my shoulder and says I am being cruel ! )

What is even worse is that my council does not give me any rebate for the lack of these wonders and AND ha! in about 4 hrs time they switch off the ones that could be seen in a telescope, hows that for consideration, tut :)

Your wife is right terribly cruel ;) Hopefully I won't move into Exeter but I work there as does my sister so we're contemplating moving there.... 

Out the front I have sodium glow flambé, out the back I have a neighbour who seems to think that she can create a fusion reactor with security lighting alone. You can see the odd pile of carbon here and there where some prowler/tradesman has got too close.

Not that I could see anything anyway, with all the cloud being all like "View the stars? that'll be tenfiddy...."

*sigh*

problem is its cloudy & windy

I can see Jupiter but a lot of cloud moving in

why can't these things happen on a good viewing night

Are they back on yet, Oldpink? I can imagine you being the only one in the area to groan when they do.... :D

No streetlights here either but domestic exterior lighting can be just as bad....

> "she's not a stargazer! she doesn't understand :D"

I'll summon a council of the elders and see what we can do to educate her !

> "peace under the stars. that is all i can say"

Hi S-L I was just about to comment in your other place about your new 350p, well done!, cant wait to see your firstlight report as I am sorly tempted (also after many years spent 'finding things' )

as for peace etc,
apropo this thread
and risking being serious for a mo.
:--
the strangest most peacefull time I had a while back was shortly after I did a late night drive to my nearest town (more an overgrown village) shortly after they did this late-night switch-off of the streetlights.
just to see what it was like being in town in those condx.
Spooky !
The milky way was spectacular in a sparkling clear sky, a meteor (sporadic) would streak by from time to time and most impressive was the 180deg x 360deg view, ,,,,  out in the countryside where I am there is always a hill behind me, trees every whichway sometimes a barn to be dodged, etc.&etc whereas in town in the park there were only low houses far away !
Everything was quiet, not a dog barked, footsteps walked down the opposite side of the street that ran alongside the small park that I was in, but we couldnt see each other.

And why am I going on like this,
cos the rain-gods did smite me for being cruel earlier
and drove me back indoors :) :)

Archived