Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

beginners telescope buying advice

Hi, Glad to have registered with stargazers lounge, read a few of the forums but getting bit bogged down with the vast numbers of differing telescopes.

I have looked at sky watcher 1145p Skyhawk, also sky watcher 130p and lastly Danubian Delta 30 catadioptric for first telescope.

Space is a premium for storage so 1145p appealed, however reading about the 130p and the slight difference in aperture will this make a big difference.

I would really welcome advice and what I am likely be able to see. I would like to be able to view lunar, planets and Deep sky objects. I have looked at celestron but been told sky watcher have better build quality. Help!.

With your budget have you considered a 150mm (or even 200mm) Dobsonian?  These scopes give you by far the "biggest bang for your buck".  The aparture will help you see fainter objects and the greater focal length will give far better views of the Moon and planets.  They are easy to use and come apart (or simply stand vertical in their base) for storage if that is an issue. 

Hi and welcome to SGL. I'm sure someone will soon be along with some helpful advice for you as I know nothing about this.

You may also want to include your budget where someone may surprise you with something else.

Good luck!

What do you want a scope for? To get into astronomy, well star gazing, or to give it a go and have a scope around for occasional use.

Do you want a manual scope or one with motors to allow the scope+mount to follow things across the sky.

How much money have you to spend, remember that once you get a scope there will be additional bits wanted.

Both Celestron and Skywatcher are made by Synta, so there is or will be little difference between the 2 brands.

Great advice thanks to you all. Budget is around £170 to £200.00. Not sure about dobsonian. Didn't know celestron and sky watcher are made by same.

I would like to have motor drive for the RA as well. Think once I have made a decision on telescope and found my feet, can look at expanding eyepieces and filters etc. Who knows may progress to a bit of photos if equipment is up to it.

Still early days, but think I have got the bug.

Hi, Glad to have registered with stargazers lounge, read a few of the forums but getting bit bogged down with the vast numbers of differing telescopes.

I have looked at sky watcher 1145p Skyhawk, also sky watcher 130p and lastly Danubian Delta 30 catadioptric for first telescope.

Space is a premium for storage so 1145p appealed, however reading about the 130p and the slight difference in aperture will this make a big difference.

I would really welcome advice and what I am likely be able to see. I would like to be able to view lunar, planets and Deep sky objects. I have looked at celestron but been told sky watcher have better build quality. Help!.

I doubt there'll be much in the views between a 4 1/2 and a 5 inch mirror. However if you want something that will store fairly compactly, the obvious choice is the Heritage 130P. Tube collapses down and sits on its base out of the way, no tripods and mount heads to worry about.

EDIT: Of course, the Heritage 130P won't track. If you want something with tracking that won't be too bulky, maybe one of the Heritage Virtuoso scopes?

Edited by cantab

Hi, you will receive plenty of first class advice and support from here, though if you can join in with a local club or group and attend a regional star party, this will extend your knowledge and expectations considerably. Consider purchasing second hand, as you will most likely get more for your budget and take the long term approach to purchasing as you evolve - astronomy can be very canny at emptying your pockets.  

Hi there, avoid the Danubian Delta 30 at all costs, these telescopes are cheaply made and do not perform as they boast, this model looks to be the bird-jones type of set-up where the focal length is extended by using a Barlow in the focuser, hence its description as a 'catadioptric reflector'.  Also avoid buying any equipment from non-astronomy suppliers like Amazon who know nothing about optics, hence rubbish like this.  Go to a dedicated astronomy supplier like FLO, the forum sponsers and get good and honest advice, as well as very competitive prices.

• Like 4

Great words of wisdom from rwilkey there. FLO (and others) do give great advice and will try not to sell you something they don't think is right for you - it's the repeat business from good advice that keeps these people going.

If you have the space I would definitely recommend a Dobsonian telescope. You can still use it to start a usable eyepiece collection - and there's always room for upgrades! :-)

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Will stay clear of danubia. Think I will go with sky watcher. I do have a back garden part patio part grass. Would have been great for star gazing about 2\3 months ago as local council turned of the street lights on the road at back to save money. Really dark. Some idiot who had been damaging cars forced the council to switch back on the lights at police request. So have some light pollution like most have. Thanks again for great advice. Lastly I have tried searching for astronomy clubs in high peak of Derbyshire but have drawn a blank. Nearest I think is white peak near Ashbourne. Does anyone now of any near buxton area of Derbyshire.

Looking forward now to getting a telescope.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I have got a danubia Delta 30 I only paid £60 for it with everything it came with new. I now read they are pants, I cannot afford to replace it so how can I make it as functional as possible as in best view also will it be harder to collimate as it is not super well made I Only look at moon and bright stars as I'm very new . Thankyou for your time 

welcome

you did OK with that it should give you a good start for the price. From what I can see it is  114mm mirror and you got the below 

eyepeices are a 6mm and 20mm
Inc Accessories: 2x Barlow Lens | Moon Filter | Erecting Eyepiece | 1.5x Motordrive

the finder scope you adjust to be looking at where the telescope is, find a tree or chimney a long way away and use that, not the sun.

Whilst it is a Jones Bird design it is useable and will give you a start. I would not barlow the 6mm that may not be a great image, but it might be OK on the Moon which can take a bit more magnification in good seeing. Stellarium is great planetarium and free so you find out what is up there where you are. The erect image diagonal gives a right way up image but it is not needed for night observing. If using it in the day time do not look at the sun.

• Like 1

On 20/02/2014 at 20:17, syoudM42 said:

hink once I have made a decision on telescope and found my feet, can look at expanding eyepieces and filters etc.

If in doubt and want a quick start buy a decent pair of binos (around 50 x 10) and get started. Even the cheap ones sold at Lidl work a treat 🙂

• Like 1

Am I correct in if I remove the flat mirror and put a parabolic in its place Take the bird Jones lens out of the focusing tube that would improve the quality or am I stuck until I can afford a real telescope. Thanks for you time 

40 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

Is that indeed a Jones bird design? I think it may not have a collimatable mirror (unsure) but not sure about the JB bit. 🤔

The telescope focal length is 1000mm which is far greater than the optical tube length so there is likely a corrector lense in the focuser tube.

14 minutes ago, MattttaM said:

Am I correct in if I remove the flat mirror and put a parabolic in its place Take the bird Jones lens out of the focusing tube that would improve the quality or am I stuck until I can afford a real telescope. Thanks for you time 

I would enjoy it as it is, but perhaps be mindful that the 4mm and the barlow will not yield a great experience at x500. Realistically max magnification is generally around twice the aperture, so around x200. 

22 minutes ago, MattttaM said:

Hi Matt, it probably wouldn't work though in theory the thinking is correct (collimation would still be a nightmare), it's best to put the money to a new scope and write the other off to experience.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MattttaM said:

I have got a danubia Delta 30 I only paid £60 for it with everything it came with new. I now read they are pants, I cannot afford to replace it so how can I make it as functional as possible as in best view also will it be harder to collimate as it is not super well made I Only look at moon and bright stars as I'm very new . Thankyou for your time 

1 hour ago, MattttaM said:

Don't feel downcast, it is a 'real telescope', just not the best . You can use it to get started , it will show you amazing things.

If you stick with the hobby and eventually find the 'scope  limiting, then think about moving on. Meanwhile use it and make the most of it. Look at the Moon, look at the Pleiades, find the Nebula in Orion's belt , see what else you can track down. You'll be gaining valuable experience and learning your way round the sky.

I inherited a similar , roughly 20 year old Celestron 114 eq with a short tube, which it turns out is a Jones-bird , it works fine for looking at the Moon, but to be honest it's a toss up what proportion of it's poor performance is down to the mirror, or the lens in the focus tube, or the terrible eyepieces which came with it, or the wobbly mount, or the flimsy tripod ... But it does work ! I took a few slightly fuzzy photos of the Moon (I'll have to find one and post it here ) through it back at the start of lockdown #1, which set me on the path of finding how to improve it, and that was the start ...

Heather