Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

beginners telescope buying advice

On 18/12/2020 at 12:42, jacobingonzo said:

I do wish more people would respond after they asked their newbie questions on here- interesting to see how they developed or if they gave it up-why- I think that too would help people to see how this hobby can develop or indeed the pitfalls

J

Good point, let me give an example of a newbie with no manners. Only this last couple of weeks a newbie posted a question about their new scope, it was a problem with the Finder. At least six or seven members, including myself, responded and gave good advice and even put in links where to buy a Telrad. The newbie made not one response, not one thank you, nothing. He then went on to start a further 4 threads, all about problems with the same scope and the same thing happened, lots of help and advice and not a single response, apart from two he gave me, the first was “Yes” and the second “Only tightened screw on one side” that was his total responses in full from five threads. Such behaviour is nothing less than bad manners and being downright rude, if I had my way Dtfvmd would not get another single reply. I noted one of the moderators lumped some of his threads together and mentioned it would help if he replied with more information.

Edited by Moonshed

41 minutes ago, Moonshed said:

Good point, let me give an example of a newbie with no manners. Only this last couple of weeks a newbie posted a question about their new scope, it was a problem with the Finder. At least six or seven members, including myself, responded and gave good advice and even put in links where to buy a Telrad. The newbie made not one response, not one thank you, nothing. He then went on to start a further 4 threads, all about problems with the same scope and the same thing happened, lots of help and advice and not a single response, apart from two he gave me, the first was “Yes” and the second “Only tightened screw on one side” that was his total responses in full from five threads. Such behaviour is nothing less than bad manners and being downright rude, if I had my way Dtfvmd would not get another single reply. I noted one of the moderators lumped some of his threads together and mentioned it would help if he replied with more information.

I have just manged to Collimate my bird Jones,  I took the lense out of the focusing tube and did it with a Collimated laser collimation toole then put lense back in the focus tube. Got it done now I will see how much better it is. Thankyou all for your help and being welcoming 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jacobingonzo said:

Indeed Moonshed- Its only common courtesy . We are very much helpful on here and to be fair the vast majority of initiates  are respectful and well mannered

J

Definitely yes, the vast majority of new joiners are decent well mannered people, it’s very rare to come across an ill mannered one.

On 24/02/2014 at 20:33, mistuk said:

Great words of wisdom from rwilkey there. FLO (and others) do give great advice and will try not to sell you something they don't think is right for you - it's the repeat business from good advice that keeps these people going.

If you have the space I would definitely recommend a Dobsonian telescope. You can still use it to start a usable eyepiece collection - and there's always room for upgrades! 🙂

...others include Rothervalleyoptics and Tringastro - I’ve had excellent service from both recently. RVO has been very responsive with my email enquiries 

21 hours ago, MattttaM said:

I have just manged to Collimate my bird Jones,  I took the lense out of the focusing tube and did it with a Collimated laser collimation toole then put lense back in the focus tube. Got it done now I will see how much better it is. Thankyou all for your help and being welcoming 

If you get it going, it makes for a suitable alternative for a 114mm Schmidt-Cassegrain.

I have Celestron's 127mm "Bird Jones"...

finis2c.jpg.273454f551a1214359c7dbcf13437d5c.jpg

When it first arrived, the images were awful, but then eventually I got it collimated.  Jupiter, before...

1171465548_Jupiter-20mm(50x)b.jpg.64bfb4a5c1482a955e45b523a539790f.jpg

It was much worse than that during the live view, with ghosts of the planet surrounding that.

After collimation...

1455101395_082319-Jupiter2.jpg.8241e8aaedd2f5023465f974f306b9cc.jpg

...and Saturn...

497221109_082319-Saturn2.jpg.04d8a9eed7c0ad32c4d4f8b35a617b3d.jpg

Now, those afocal shots are not as good as what I saw live; almost tack-sharp they were.

I would recommend using a collimation-cap and Cheshire to collimate the telescope however.  The secondary-scene as seen through both tools...

1298953362_collimationmodes.jpg.9891077f37553e9e7894e4c7ea125a37.jpg

With those tools, you can see what's actually taking place whilst collimating.  I feel that it's more precise; but that, of course, is up to the owner of the telescope.