Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

100% vs 95% collimation....

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My laser collimator is not dead accurate, on one angle it's dead centered, and you turn it around and it's off on the border the of the primary central circle. I tend to adjust the difference on the stars...I really need a good collimator... :)

My laser collimator is not dead accurate, on one angle it's dead centered, and you turn it around and it's off on the border the of the primary central circle. I tend to adjust the difference on the stars...I really need a good collimator... :)

if you have a barlow then using the barlowed laser method is generally accurate no matter how badly off your laser is.

I went to a lot of effort to make a laser collimator years ago but even though it was accurate (intrinsically, I machined it in a collet in the lathe and set the laser up that way with it projecting through the headstock onto the workshop wall), I never found it particularly useful for collimating the scope. I could always see some slight mis-collimation in the star image which I would then correct on the fly, and after a while that's all I ever did. It sits in a drawer un-used.

ChrisH

The "sweet spot" for collimation gets smaller as focal ratio gets faster. An F/8 newt is somewhat more tolerant of collimation error than an F/5. 

...and an f/4 or shorter is a right PITA requiring constant tinkering every time it's used! I suppose some scopes are better built than others and more resistant to the optics shifting about, but this one needed it all the time. After a while it's something you get used to and can immediately go to the right screw and turn it just the right amount to get it spot on with only a couple of iterations. (Remember, you have to move away from the eyepiece to the back of the scope, make your adjustment, then return to look at the effect of what you did). For a beginner it would be a nightmare I would think.

ChrisH

Archived