Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

rubbish skies

bomberbaz

We have had in my area clear skies 3 times this last week, albeit for fairly short periods but each time they have been as murky as pea soup. I seem to remember last year was no where near this bad!

When I used to go s3a fishing at night i prayed for cloudy windy nights akin to what we are cureently getting, all we seemed to get were cold clear skied nights. Maybe I should take up fishing again!

That should give the weather fairies something to think about

Go out with your rod, with your scope deviously hidden under your coat, then, BINGO!!!

Barry

great idea if I had a heritage 130 flextube, however if you look at my scope in signature, lol thanks for the idea thoigh :-)

Here in the North East, whilst I have not ventured out for two weeks and the scope sits idly in the corner of the room, we are at least not experiencing the truly devastating circumstances as are some parts of the West Country and other regions.

I've had new gear lying around waiting for first light which makes the wait seem much longer. I think I've had just 2 decent sessions (5hrs or so) this year and I have so many things to simply try out that the next session will just consist of experiments anyway. We need a solid week of calm clear weather to make up for this. Right now we have 'Stormageddon' moving in and everthing needs lashing to the decks!

ChrisH

Just as bad down on the south coast here, Had the odd couple of hours of clear sky's but nothing to shout about since new years eve Grrrrrrrrrrrr,  I'm getting Gazing withdrawals & webbed feet Quack Quack,  The last 3 star  party's have all been cancelled due to bad weather hear,

At least Tonight's Stargazing live night event is going ahead even though the weather forecast is rubbish  :clouds2: tonight,  Hear at   http://www.moors-valley.co.uk/event/stargazing-08-feb-13/

At least I have something to look forward to tonight now  :grin: .

it is rubbidsh. I used to be a moth recorder and we wanted warm muggy nights and it always cleared just before a session. I think you just remember the bad nights in this sort of mindset.

I have just had half an hour on the sun and done a sketch and it's nice to get out. having a white light filter for a standard scope is a great way to get some astronomy in at least.

post-5119-0-66204600-1391855432_thumb.jp

I've been out 3 times this year so far, not awful I suppose but I've taken advantage of as many of the clear skies I've had as possible (probably missed 2 very short sessions). When I have a good session, it seems to allow me to forget the cloudy skies we've had, so I'm nowhere near giving up :)

think its time i got me a sun filter

Having spent a few pennies on a decent solar scope, it's surprising (or perhaps not) how few clear sunny days I've had when I can observe with it.  Weekdays during the winter months are out because I am at work during daylight hours, that leaves the summer months and we know how dire those have been in recent years.  Technically if the chances of clear skies remained constant it should double my observing chances (assuming I planned to observe twice a week), but in reality it just doesn't happen that way.

But when there is a clear calm day, solar observing is a great relaxing way to while away a few hours in the warm sunshine, even in the winter months.

Archived