Which would you choose? Zoom or these 3 EPs?

Saturninus

<br />

<br />

Just curious, if you were to spend your hard earned money on one of these two options, which would you choose?<br />

<br />

A). Baader Hyperion 8-24mm Mark III zoom<br />

<br />

OR<br />

<br />

B). 10mm Baader Classic Ortho + 15mm Televue Plossl + 25mm Televue Plossl<br />

<br />

I think those two options would be similar in cash outlay. So which route would you choose?<br />

<br />

<br />

Just curious, if you were to spend your hard earned money on one of these two options, which would you choose?<br />

<br />

A). Baader Hyperion 8-24mm Mark III zoom<br />

<br />

OR<br />

<br />

B). 10mm Baader Classic Ortho + 15mm Televue Plossl + 25mm Televue Plossl<br />

<br />

I think those two options would be similar in cash outlay. So which route would you choose?<br />

I have the zoom and I really like it. It beats fumbling around in the dark for different eyepieces. Also I love zooming in and out on an object to find the correct magnification saving time. People have commented on the narrow field of view at lower magnification 24mm so maybe a big wide field eyepiece too.

I skimmed through all pages of this eyepiece section last night. Yes I really did lol and "zoom" appears in the title of 137 threads (more than one thread per page) so there is loads of info and opinions on them. For this reason don't get too upset if the older members don't reply. Have a quick search (then buy the zoom) haha

Good luck with your choice, that's just my 2 penneth

Max

I've used them all and, while the Hyperion zoom is one of the better zooms, the Baader Classic + 2 TV plossls would outperform it in pure optical terms. So thats the option I would select.

Yes I figured that the zoom debate has been done to death, and i didnt want to drag out a technical analysis of one option or another. I was more interested in what most experienced observers gut reaction is. I find it more telling what veterans instinctively reach for as opposed to an arduous decision that comes after over-thinking it. I was guessing that most would go for the 3 eps...<br />

<br />

I have just bought 3 EPs (about to review on here, watch this space) but I am also going to get a zoom. I made this decision after trawling the net and the web. Seem my earlier link on it:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/207080-eyepiece-set/

There is no doubt the single EPs produce better quality viewing, but it is also absolutely clear that a lot of people love their zooms. And we have to remember people like different things. Some are focused on getting to all those really difficult DSO's and others are more interested in hopping around the sky each night. The same solution won't work for both.

So I would say really consider what will give you more pleasure: taking in the beauty of M78 for a couple of hours, or enjoying different parts of Orion before re-aligning to another cluster over the same period of time...

If you are going for a zoom without fixed EPs, then I would say get the best you can afford. The Baader 8-24 gets good reviews, and while there are others which may represent better value, it consistently scores high.

Hope my thread helps, it's a difficult decision!

Can't beat having a zoom in the collection. They are so handy, especially for a grab'n'go setup. And the Baader throws up a great image too. Personally i like to have individual eyepieces, just wouldn't feel right if I wasn't swapping eyepieces. So would go with those first and then add a zoom to the collection.

I do like the versatility of zoom eyepieces and they are great as a grab and go setup, for example  if you are visiting a dark site or even going on holiday and you don't want to take several eyepieces.

Zooms are also very useful when setting the alignment process of a GoTo scope as you can centre targets from low to high mag without removing eyepieces.

However, 3 single eyepieces would be my choice as they give sharper detail and will be the preferred option for general everyday use  :smiley:  " forgive the everyday terminology" :shocked:

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Baader 8-24mm Mark III Zoom from someone on this board last week and also picked-up the 2.25x Barlow from FLO which neatly turns the zoom into a 3.5mm-10.7mm. I have now been out with them four times, including a long session on the moon and planets last night, and I love them - great pieces of kit - very solidly built with clear, crisp views and a nice smooth zoom action with positive clicks at the intermediate focal lengths to allow you to keep track of what mag you are using.

I think anyone thinking of buying a selection of mid-range EPs such as X-Cel Lx's or similar should seriously consider one of these as a cheaper alternative with an as good if not better viewing experience.

Archived