Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fordos' Observatory Build

Fordos Moon

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interested myself to see how that tricky bit comes together! I ordered some polyurethane castor wheels from a company on ebay which has now told me my early Jan order wont be delivered til end of Feb after saying it would be end of Jan so I have cancelled it.

Can anyone recommend me a supplier of these wheels that is value for money and reliable please?

Looking very good, good luck with the build.

I've had to refelt my roof after finding the windy had torn a big hole - which lead to water getting through.

Lee

Rubber roofing may be the way to go, my little roof i found easy there are people have done  far bigger roofs single handed.......

+1 for rubber roofing. It's a bit more expensive but it's a single piece, no gaps for water to get in, and it's basically maintenance free.

It is quite heavy but I managed to do it on my own (two 3x3 metre pieces). I bought a 6x3 metre roll and that cost me £160 plus £40 for a 5 litre bucket of adhesive. Well worth it I think.

Guys and Gals, I am looking at some polyurethane fixed caster wheels here:

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=polyurethane+fixed+caster+wheels&spell=1&tbm=shop

and the Draper ones about half way down look viable what do you think? Would I need 100kg or 75kg max load for each wheel when I am intending to use four on each side, with each side being 78 inches in length?

The roof will be made from 12mm plywood, 38x63mm studwork (I think) and maybe two or three 3"x2" (laughing about using metric and imperial to inform you) - oh and roof felt (the good stuff) as I have already bought it so will give it a go before the rubber option.

And another vote for rubber. Mine was dead easy to do single handed. It's 2.4 x3.0 approx and lightly pitched. The only problem I had was I picked the hottest day of the year to glue it down! Very sweaty standing on a black roof at mid day!

Nice to see the progress here Fordos - I'm most jealous that you can do this with your Dad! If only - my dad loved these projects and was great fun to work with - make the most :)

typed on my mobile with Tapatalk

Many thanks Snakey, and very wise words, sorry to hear about your dad. Time is so precious.

Archived