Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fordos' Observatory Build

Fordos Moon

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to see it all coming together now - hope the repairs to the pier head are done quickly and you can get this up and running in short order.

The company has been brilliant Jake, posting it off today and they will endeavour to turn it round super quick I am sure! I can always use my tripod in the meantime.

The company has been brilliant Jake, posting it off today and they will endeavour to turn it round super quick I am sure! I can always use my tripod in the meantime.

On reflection I still haven't sorted my own pier head out properly, but are using a temporary solution of bolting an EQ5 tripod head to my top plate.   This was only intended as a stop gap solution until I sourced a decent billet of aluminium or stainless to turn a proper one out on the lathe.    Another job that's slipped to the bottom of the list - must get this done properly!

Glad to hear the repair is in hand and look forward to completion and installation of the scope.

I used the interlocking squares of foam rubber - very pleased with it :)  Cushions any dropped astro bits, easy to clean and warm to the feet.  You need to allow for expansion in warm weather.

In the scope room I used interlocking foam tiles http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/48-SQ-FT-INTERLOCKING-FOAM-MATS-TILES-GYM-PLAY-GARAGE-WORKSHOP-FLOOR-MAT-BLACK-/221054888887?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Exercise_Fitness_Fitness_Accessories_ET&hash=item3377e5ebb7 stuck down with carpet tile adhesive.  It's cheap compared to rubber matting, and should anything get dropped like an eyepiece it just bounces.

For the warm room, like Chris I too had some carpet tiles left over from a work project, so they were put to good use :)

really nice job,

back to the flooring issue, i used some of those office floor tiles, 600 x 600, i had the original rubber backed ones but i took one up for some reason and found some moister had been trapped between the floorboards and the rubber backing, not a lot but was concerned enough to replace them with the felt backed office tiles, had no problem with these, just thought i would mention it so you can look out for any problems like that.

Please can you guys let me know what you've covered your floors with? Was thinking of rubber matting but seems expensive for what it is? Any retailers for your suggestions much appreciated also!

Nothing less than an Axminster or Wilton carpet will do. lol

But I ended up with carpet tiles - they do the job ok.

Lee

"watch your step" - I think it should read "wipe your feet".

Great Job

Lee

lol thanks Lee - just waiting for my pier top to come back now and then i'm off - been using tripod in there at mo and its a bit tight - still, cloudy week forecast i believe. Next thing on my list of things to do is to learn how to do guiding with my ST80 and ASI120. Reading up a lot at mo! ps - you were gonna find pics of your observatory?

So sorry I've not uploaded photos of Obsy.

Work decided to upgrade XP to Windows 7.

I've lost all my astro image software so been busy with that.

I'll see if I can take a pic soon - but my obsy is nothing compared to yours.

I'm also looking to extend and add a warm room to it (something I should have thought of in the begining.

Lee

Okay so I need to run some power in to the observatory for a light and a couple of sockets. We have an outdoor plug socket on the conservatory about 3 metres away. My father-in-law will install as he knows about this stuff but how much can I bank on spending on this job? I can't believe it will be that much?

Archived