NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fordos' Observatory Build

Fordos Moon

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As said hacksaw the head off, or take a angle grinder to it and just flatten 2 sides so there's straight square edges for the adjusters to push against...just get the head of the bolt the right height or the threaded bit ground flat and the right height....

Advice required please. I've got this nice adaptor plate to go on my mount. But I need to rig up some kind of nub for the adjustment bolts to push against.

Altair Astro? :) But frankly I just chopped a piece of threaded rod to the right length!

AFAICT, doesn't effect anything - It being threaded throughout the length. If you know

a "man with lathe", a better job can be done! I try to limit my use of Angle Grinders... :p

I woke up one night dreaming this idea of how to cut the roof ends the right shape, and it worked - next time would do before putting roof on!

post-26268-0-54754900-1394231434_thumb.j

A little view through the roof section

post-26268-0-33839000-1394231491_thumb.j

Four of these attached inside to stop roll off / lift off

post-26268-0-66183100-1394231520_thumb.j

Thanks Per how is the extra bolt height going to make it wobble if bottom half set in resin? And aren't I more likely to destroy the set resin and concrete if I start hacksawing off the bolts now? Open to suggestions!

Once you get all the kit on there and balanced see if there's any spring or movement, you could put another steel plate in the middle with another set on nuts and washers ect that would stop any twisting, but it look pretty solid so just wait and see.....

Well, bolts bend, don't they? The shorter the better, simple as that. I have seen a lot of piers with high bolts and a few of them had to cut them down. What would be the purpose of a steady steel pier - which you have - if you balance the mount on four M10 or M12 rods that are at least 15cm long? Just get the grinder out and be done with it ;)

/per

Fordo, I think Per means the bolts on the top of the pier, not at the bottom ;)

Ahh the penny drops thanks mate! I haven't touched the top yet and now I see Per's point! I thought he meant the bottom ones!

Thanks guys makes sense now!!

Well, bolts bend, don't they? The shorter the better, simple as that. I have seen a lot of piers with high bolts and a few of them had to cut them down. What would be the purpose of a steady steel pier - which you have - if you balance the mount on four M10 or M12 rods that are at least 15cm long? Just get the grinder out and be done with it ;)

/per

Per, I thought you meant the ones at the base sorry! The only concern I have now with shortening the top bolts is reducing the pier height which may affect range. Food for thought though and I appreciate your advice!

My interior wall have sterling boards the the stud work has 4" X 1" timber along the bottom and the middle and the top, this has a rebate on the studd side, the sterling board sits in the rebate and has the odd screw near the middle to stop it rattling, the middle 4" X 1" has 2 pieces one the the bottom board and one for the top, this allows either 4" X 1" to be remove and then take the sterling board out revelling the whole of the stud work inside should alterations be required at a later date.... 

Picture ......:)

DSC_9867.jpg

Archived