Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fordos' Observatory Build

Fordos Moon

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jake, if you've really got itchy hand thenyou could pop across the water and build ME a second obsy, I won't mind.

I think Fordos looks a little more local and seems to have some great ideas/building skills!   Before I build Obs Mk2 I will need to save some money - this should allow time for full recovery from my hernia repair (attributed to tree stump removal for the last build).

Nice overhang on the gable ends - very important with the wet weather we've just had.

I had to modify my obsy (not easy once built) to stop rain blowing in.

You may want to close the two gaps on each runner ends to stop rain blowing in.

Lee

Nice overhang on the gable ends - very important with the wet weather we've just had.

I had to modify my obsy (not easy once built) to stop rain blowing in.

You may want to close the two gaps on each runner ends to stop rain blowing in.

Lee

I would like to do that Lee just trying to fathom out best way as need a bit of clearance. Might use some more of the strip of DPC I have been using for everything - very flexible!

In the end I simply cut roof felt and allowed the runners etc to cut/wear itself into shape.

I also extended a lip over each end to keep off the rain.

It's taken a while to get it fully water tight - although this year has been by far the worst for weather.

Lee

In the end I simply cut roof felt and allowed the runners etc to cut/wear itself into shape.

I also extended a lip over each end to keep off the rain.

It's taken a while to get it fully water tight - although this year has been by far the worst for weather.

Lee

Similar approach then - will certainly get round to doing that! Any pics of your observatory?

I used brush type draught excluder on mine.

Gina that sounds the perfect solution. I could only find door draught excluders anywhere I looked. Do you know a source? It would be ideal if it came on a roll as I could do with a bit in several places!

I'm living in a rented place at the moment, so unfortunately it's not an option.

You could build a Obby around 4 posts set in the ground with pea shingle, then bolt 6" X 2" joist from post to post the make a floor on, the sides only need to be stud work panels thats screw to the posts then a flat light weight roll off roof....no concrete and can be taken to your next home should you move... :)

Okay guys slight technical hitch. Two of the top bolts fixing the circular pier plate to the pier have pinged out of the holes they were set in. There is no thread in the holes so I am pretty sure they were glued in. My plan is to use a 2 part epoxy resin to fix. Sound right?

Once the resin has set you will be able to lift the whole world if you attach a helicopter to it, now is that reassuring, it should work just give it 3 times more setting time than recommended as this is a got to fix solution.....

The very helpful people who supplied the pier have very kindly offered me to send back the top plate for a re-weld and refund of postage. Just checking with them that epoxy won't be up for the job, and on their advice will send back.

Archived