Decent auroral activity - Jan 26 & 27

I'm on aurora flight expert guide duty at the moment (a tough job, but someone's got to do it!). Flew from Glasgow Airport on 26th and got decent substorm activity. Last night's flight was from Newcastle Airport and again, we were lucky enough to catch another substorm peak. Here's a shot from last night's flight. Other astronomers on board were Nigel Bradbury and Lee Sproats of Green Witch Telescopes. 

More room on these flights than sitting in a small plane opposite Liz Bonnin! :)

Pete

post-60-0-66875600-1390906779_thumb.jpg

Its a tough life Pete having to view and photograph aurora. I really must treat myself and get a view whilst the Sun is reasonably active. Your photo really shows the quality of the aurora.

I know this is slightly off the thread but do you know whether this flight company is going to try and view the Total Eclipse next year because its a similar distance to travel.

Yes I do - from a cruise ship in the Atlantic. I know that because I'm a guide on that too. I think all the places have gone but there was talk of putting another ship on - several more were added after ours. Company is Omega Holidays - is suggest giving them a ring and asking as I'm not sure what the situation is regarding spaces at present.

Pete

I'm on aurora flight expert guide duty at the moment (a tough job, but someone's got to do it!). Flew from Glasgow Airport on 26th and got decent substorm activity. Last night's flight was from Newcastle Airport and again, we were lucky enough to catch another substorm peak. Here's a shot from last night's flight. Other astronomers on board were Nigel Bradbury and Lee Sproats of Green Witch Telescopes. 

More room on these flights than sitting in a small plane opposite Liz Bonnin! :)

Pete

Nice pic. A tough job indeed Pete! It must take all the excitement out of it knowing that the clouds won't get in the way of your view :wink:

I missed the display on Saturday night, but a fellow aurora spotter managed to get this footage from a much frequented local viewing location - www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3cU-s0KkKo. It's not as good as seeing it for yourself, but the next best thing is getting to see it through others fabulous images.

[bTW, I very much enjoyed the Stagazing Live shows - yourself and the others involved in it are to be congratulated for bringing the wonders of the night sky into the limelight.]

Grumble... Grumble. .. we were up in a dark sight at the north end of Sweden on the 26th and 27th. All we saw were clouds with a bright green glow behind them. So jealous. ..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Archived