NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My First Reasonable Shot of Jupiter

Hi this is the first shot of Jupiter that I'm reasonably happy with after several attempts and a lot of learning. Hopefully my images will get better as I progress. Taken with a Celestron NexStar 127 SLT, a x2 Barlow and an Orion 1 megapixel imager.

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done :)  I think you've done a good job there.  The learning curve is steep, but the 127 is an excellent instrument for getting to grips with planetary imaging.  Practice, and lots of it, really helps.

James

Nice!

The image looks dark on my iphone; was it that dark when you captured the data? Have you tried lightening it up subsequently?

Smashing start, and loads better than the stuff i was achieving with a 127, 18 months ago.

James

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same camera and just tried to photograph (video) Jupiter with my CPC1100. All I can get is a fuzzy white disk :huh:

Can someone please tell me what settings I should be using (hue, brightness, contrast, etc) to allow me to c`apture something like the picture above?

:help:

Hi DRT, I got a lot of fuzzy, white disks while experimenting. I found that what helped was to get the video resolution as high as possible, get as close up to Jupiter as possible (I used a x2 Barlow), and drop the exposure on the software (on my laptop the software doesn't seem to be very responsive but it can make a difference). Also, a gust of wind can suddenly change the image to a blurry dot so clear, still nights help a lot.... Hope that helps

Hi DRT, I got a lot of fuzzy, white disks while experimenting. I found that what helped was to get the video resolution as high as possible, get as close up to Jupiter as possible (I used a x2 Barlow), and drop the exposure on the software (on my laptop the software doesn't seem to be very responsive but it can make a difference). Also, a gust of wind can suddenly change the image to a blurry dot so clear, still nights help a lot.... Hope that helps

Thanks - will give it a go.

Archived