Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion between the clouds.

Very impressive, what time was the shot taken at?

It was taken just before midnight.

I do like this image. Is that a satellite flare at the top of the image or diffraction spikes?

Its actually Jupiter.A bit of misting on the lens,not much but just enough for the brighter stars to be affected.

Lorne, on 17 Jan 2014 - 10:14 PM, said:

Lovely picture. I wonder what the builders way back in the bronze age thought about when they saw that same view.

"I wonder if that A9 will ever be dualled"   :p

That's a cracker      :-)

Very nice Stewart, a lot going on in a peaceful image. I still cannot fathom how you just get those colours to be so 'translucent' and not oversaturated.

A belated congratulations for getting two of your images on Stargazing Live during the credits.   :)

Beulah, on 18 Jan 2014 - 8:56 PM, said:

Very nice Stewart, a lot going on in a peaceful image. I still cannot fathom how you just get those colours to be so 'translucent' and not oversaturated.

A belated congratulations for getting two of your images on Stargazing Live during the credits.   :)

Thanks,i used to be very heavy handed with colour and am not exactly shy in using it now but I have seen so many aurora shots,especially

fainter displays where the colour has been boosted so much that the whole image is just one mass of colour noise,i'm sick of seeing it and probably slightly embarrassed because its what I used to do myself.

Those that do it to their images obviously don't notice and the general public(facebook) wallow in it but you couldn't print anything above A4 or it would look a complete mess.

I never really noticed mine were bad either until I got a couple of A2 prints done,they were a noisy mess so now my No1 priority is image/print quality.

Sometimes I fail but most of the time I get it right(ish).Those who kill they're aurora shots with colour just to get a few more facebook likes would think twice

about what they do if the bought a large print of their own work.

I usually only use selected areas to saturate and not the whole image.I use the dodge,burn and sponge brushes in the same selective manner along with NIK Viveza

which is great adjustment software where you can either adjust globally(whole image) or select certain areas to adjust.Strongly recommend it.Color Effex Pro is another one I use,again from NIK.

Infact I use all the NIK software in this Google/NIK bundle although I don't use the HDR very often but it came with the bundle.Bit of a NIK fan anyway.Think its by far the best software there

is and way ahead of the likes of Topaz but each to their own. http://www.google.co.uk/nikcollection/products/viveza/

Very rarely LP reflected from clouds "adds" to an image.. I think this is a worthy example... 

Although I bet you would prefer a cloud free night - unless they are NLC's or Aurora :)

Peter...

I must agree. Its very rare that LP adds a certain something to an image. When it does (as in this case), i think that is down to the skill of the photographer rather then the camera.

If this image was made into a wall poster...................i'd happily hang it on my wall.

Archived