NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Chained Princess

With not much imaging or observing going on thought I'd stick this up. Andromeda and Triangulum with M31 and M33

Canon 350d (unmodded at the time), standard 18-55 zoom

6 x 10 minutes under very dark skies.

Processing in Iris and photoshop.

Phil.

FINALAndromedaandTriangulumsmaller.jpg

Cheers :D The only problem with widefields is they tend to get a bit chunky when they're compressed for the web (any ideas?)

Nicely spotted Kevin. NGC752 was a splendid and bright naked eye object 8) (it's listed at mag 5.7).

The image was taken in Provence at Les Granges. I stayed for 10 nights and had 8 clear nights but the girlfriend had me out on long hikes during daylight so you can imagine how knackered I was! Not only is it extremely dark there but on a number of the nights transparency and seeing were particularly good - the structure in the milky way was incredible - amazing granularity to it. The weirdist thing was observing under clear skies but being able to see flashes of lightning way off in the distance. My mid-week digs in Bristol are a bit like something out the Young Ones so the girlfriend is promising to get this printed in poster size to remind me of the trip. Unfortunately I am spoiled forever as I just can not get used to my Hampshire skies (when I can see them) - even though I can get mag 5.5 in some directions when it's good.

Phil.

The camera was piggy backed on an LX200, no guiding. North is straight up in the image. I took some nice sharp widefields of the milky way through cygnus, they're great for spotting the Barnard's, but as the camera was unmodded the nebulae are a bit dull.

If anyone ever fancies an SGL trip over there please let me know... Some sketches done with his Televue Genesis and 20" dob are in the sketching forum.

Now that is what I call looking into deep space.

That is a cracker of a wide field shot Phil. There is so much in there, and the real bonus of these sort of images,

are their educational value.

Great stuff.

Ron.

Phil, I am just down the road from you to the south of Gloucester if you get astro withdrawal fever midweek feel free to pop in :D

Thanks Kevin. That would be really great. Let's hope the weather improves soon.

Phil.

Archived