NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn. Wow!

I have been wanting desperately see Saturn since i got my scope(s). So after checking weather forecast last night, I jumped out of bed early this morning, looked out the curtains, saw it was clear and ran downstairs to put out the 200 dob to let it cool down.

After taking the dog for an earlier than usual walk, came back and grabbed a coffee, checked stellarium to locate Saturn i put in the 15mm BSt and looked towards where saturn should be, although even through the finder it still 'just' looked like a star.

But as it came into focus through the EP, i was "wow, wow, wow" The first time i had ever seen it with my own eyes! I then popped in the 6mm TMB and was amazed at the clarity, even though its still reasonably low in the sky, but i just couldn't wait till april!

After watching the GRS on Jupiter a couple nights ago, and now this, i am just amazed at what i can see through my 'little' 8" dob!

I had a go at Mars too this morning, but its still very small at 200X I'll wait for it to get closer.

I need to start working my way through the DSO's now..... :laugh:

I have been wanting desperately see Saturn since i got my scope(s). So after checking weather forecast last night, I jumped out of bed early this morning, looked out the curtains, saw it was clear and ran downstairs to put out the 200 dob to let it cool down.

After taking the dog for an earlier than usual walk, came back and grabbed a coffee, checked stellarium to locate Saturn i put in the 15mm BSt and looked towards where saturn should be, although even through the finder it still 'just' looked like a star.

But as it came into focus through the EP, i was "wow, wow, wow" The first time i had ever seen it with my own eyes! I then popped in the 6mm TMB and was amazed at the clarity, even though its still reasonably low in the sky, but i just couldn't wait till april!

After watching the GRS on Jupiter a couple nights ago, and now this, i am just amazed at what i can see through my 'little' 8" dob!

I had a go at Mars too this morning, but its still very small at 200X I'll wait for it to get closer.

I need to start working my way through the DSO's now..... :laugh:

Nice report........Saturn  is far too low in my sky,  the  trees are in the way. The  last time I saw Saturn was with my old Helios Stellar 20x80's some Years back, so anxiously awaiting the right time to view with the Skyliner. I've highlighted  the 6mm TMB. I've just returned mine, as the TFOV just didn't seem right, compared to my BST's. I know the AFOV only differs by 2° but it didn't feel comfortable. The replacement 5mm BST arrived  today. :smiley:

I love Saturn. I think Jupiter is my favourite, but that first view of the ring system is mind-blowing, no matter how little aperture you're rocking. Conversely I always found Mars disappointing. It's at opposition later in the year but it isn't a favourable one. I know you need a lot of magnification and a fair bit of aperture to make anything out on it!

DD

Hmmm not a success. It just looked the same through the scope. A bright white dot.

Saw mars, again just a pinkish tiny disk.

2 urban fixes came right up to me and scared the heck out of me! Blimey it was cold.

Hmmm not a success. It just looked the same through the scope. A bright white dot.

Saw mars, again just a pinkish tiny disk.

2 urban fixes came right up to me and scared the heck out of me! Blimey it was cold.

A you sure you were looking at Saturn Philip? You have the same scope as me, and it was very prominent through my 15mm EP. Spica is a similair distance above the horizon as Saturn but further to your west. I'm just wondering if you may have mistaken it?

Amazing with the foxes though. :) 

A you sure you were looking at Saturn Philip? You have the same scope as me, and it was very prominent through my 15mm EP. Spica is a similair distance above the horizon as Saturn but further to your west. I'm just wondering if you may have mistaken it?

Amazing with the foxes though. :)

I did wonder, I used stellarium and redshift on my iPad. It was the only thing in the sky (in that area) of any significant brightness. The sky was very clear though, but yes I do wonder if it was Saturn at all.

Determined to get some better views of saturn this year but as per anything else in the sky, that going to need a drive out and dark skies

I resolved the cassini division and think it was 2 moons but i believe there is more to offer if i put the wffort in

Archived