Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from cloudy skies

Evie

Hi, nice to meet you from Europe - at the moment we have cloudy skies, but I am trying to use every clear minute :)

So, a bit about me... I always loved astronomy - since my grandpa shown me "big dipper" and "small dipper" in summer sky. I read books about space, stars and universe and even dreamed about this job... however later it became clear that I do not have what it takes to become an astronomer, so it remained in dreams and looking at sky or taking occasional moon photo. 

As time goes, I found a friend with similar interest to astronomy and my childhood passion came back :) so, found Stellarium, started reading more about taking starry sky photos, and again started dreaming about telescopes. As I have problems with my eyesight (it isn't perfect even with eyeglasses and never will be), I am more interested in taking photos when looking from telescope - they show the same details in bigger size.

Yesterday took several Jupiter photos directly from DSRL - well, as much as cloudy sky gave me clearer moments... also very cloudy moon. Today I borrowed my friends Sky-Watcher 70/500 and caught minute when moon whas not fully covered by clouds - grabbed one more photo. Unfortunately, while I was searching for my tripod and remode, the clouds came back...  so, my first more serious tries.

Moon with SkyWatcher 70/500 with 25mm oc. and handheld Pentax K30 +Tamron 90mm  

Cloudy Moon with Pentax K-30 and Sigma 50-500mm from tripod on 500mm

Jupiter with Pentax K-30 and Sigma 17-70, on 17mm, from tripod,  photo 2

I looked for several telescopes yesterday, and read several topics here today, and while at first I was really interested in recommended astrophotography telescope set, I found that I should read "Making Every Photon Count". So, my telescope buying or even choosing plans were postponed till I order, receive and read this book. For now I will try to work with borrowed telescope - even if the forecast offers only rain and cloudy skies till Saturday night.

Also I will continue reading this page, as well as looking to beautiful photos... and dreaming about making my own :)

Welcome to SGL from another imager!! Where are you in Europe? Good call on getting THE book and holding off your purchases until you have read it, a very wise move indeed. If you have any questions then ask away - A couple of folks on here know what they are talking about - Myself excluded :grin:

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Welcome to SGL from another imager!! Where are you in Europe? Good call on getting THE book and holding off your purchases until you have read it, a very wise move indeed. If you have any questions then ask away - A couple of folks on here know what they are talking about - Myself excluded :grin:

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Thank you for greetings :) I am from Lithuania, I live a bit out of suburbs, so the light pollution is not VERY bad here (the photos above without any/almost without any corrections).

I will not request help about telescope at the moment, as I think you hear such questions everyday several times :) anyway, any advices on easy hobby telescope would be appreciated (well, as only hobby with not much time - thinking about Go To + no/little easy cleaning + no need to collimate, some DSO visible, no need to change several months after buying, suitable for astrophoto, best till 700euros, can be till 1000 euros, no camera needed ... )

Hello Evie and welcome to SGL!!

Hi Evie welcome to the lounge,

imaging is very popular here in S G L.  Enjoy!

Good Luck and Clear Sky's 

Hi, thanks :) well, I came from a need, but I hope I will enjoy experience :) The biggest problem is that information amount is huge... and very difficult to know what to search for...

Hi Evie, welcome to SGL :)

Thank you:)

Hello & welcome :laugh:

Shaun

Thanks for the greetings :)

A warm welcome to SGL

Thank you :)

Hello and welcome from me too  :smiley:

Hi, thanks :)

Hi and welcome to the forum

Clear skies

James

Thank you for clear skies wishes - it seems they are coming on Sunday... together with subzero temperatures.

Hi from me too.

Hello back ;) 

Hi welcome to SGL from Pete in Bedfordshire :smiley:

Hello, thanks :)

Welcome Evie, I joined this forum about a month ago knowing almost nothing about astronomy, telescopes, and astro photography, but after a month of reading past subjects, asking a few questions, and trying a few things out, I am feeling a lot more confident about what I am doing.

Archived