NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

From the Frozen Wastes

Deadloud

Hello everyone, new member here, perched on the coast in N.E. Scotland and a musician and school bus driver (yeah, I know.... ). I've dabbled over the years in astronomy but have now decided I want to get a bit more involved, so later this week my first telescope will arrive ... (a SkyWatcher Evostar 90 on the AZ3 mount).  

It will probably be at this point that seasoned and more informed members will fall on the floor laughing because I've bought the astronomical equivalent of a glass milk bottle   ... however as with music kit, it's never a bad idea to start with something you can handle then bankrupt yourself later  :smiley:

I looked at the EQ mount but decided that would be something for later, for the moment I just want to go out and use the thing and get to know it ... I'm fortunate enough to live within a few miles of some very dark skies, although the sky above my house is quite often bleached out by the harbour lights. I can give an example of their brightness when I tell you that I used to keep my motorbike battery charged up in winter with a solar cell aimed at them ... and there was a useful output from the cell 24 hours a day.

So happy new year to all .... and I look forward to picking a few brains and getting into this.  :smiley:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone, new member here, perched on the coast in N.E. Scotland and a musician and school bus driver (yeah, I know.... ). I've dabbled over the years in astronomy but have now decided I want to get a bit more involved, so later this week my first telescope will arrive ... (a SkyWatcher Evostar 90 on the AZ3 mount).  

It will probably be at this point that seasoned and more informed members will fall on the floor laughing because I've bought the astronomical equivalent of a glass milk bottle   ... however as with music kit, it's never a bad idea to start with something you can handle then bankrupt yourself later  :smiley:

I looked at the EQ mount but decided that would be something for later, for the moment I just want to go out and use the thing and get to know it ... I'm fortunate enough to live within a few miles of some very dark skies, although the sky above my house is quite often bleached out by the harbour lights. I can give an example of their brightness when I tell you that I used to keep my motorbike battery charged up in winter with a solar cell aimed at them ... and there was a useful output from the cell 24 hours a day.

So happy new year to all .... and I look forward to picking a few brains and getting into this.  :smiley:

I'm a newbie as well from over here in Pittsburgh PA, USA.  I am in the same boat as you, just trying to learn they ropes.  Nice to meet you!

Welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us. Your LP sounds pretty dire, but I'm sure that if you keep your kit portable you'll be able to travel a little way and get away from it - Dark skies make a massive difference, so I'm told. Don't know, I've only looked through a scope a handful of times!!!

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi welcome to SGL from Pete in Bedfordshire :smiley: you will not find many people around here laughing at anyones equipment, not that yours is anything to laugh at, the evostar 90 is a well regarded scope and skywatcher are an even higher regarded brand. it is far better than what i started out with. 

Hi and welcome to the lounge,

you will be amazed at what you will see with the Evo 90

this was my first scope and I still use it now as my grab

and go, and when my grandson comes round, he loves

it, and can use the EQ mount, he is 8, a couple of new

eyepieces do make a difference, but you won't need them

straight away. Enjoy!

Good Luck and Clear Sky's 

Thanks people, I got an email this morning to say the seeing tube is on it's way here, a pity that it's progress will be somewhat impeded by new years day ... however after the gig tomorrow night I have no work until next Monday so I WILL be here when it arrives  :smiley:

Nice scope to start with and will last you as long as you want.

Couple of additional eyepieces when you get used to the scope and you won't need much else.

Could make youself a solar filter for the scope (AND THE FINDER) and when the sun appears go looking at that.

Jupiter will be good in it and when better placed (and more convenient time) so will Saturn.

Archived