New member from Worcs

paulsutt

Hi

I've finally taken the step in astronomy, having been fascinated by this subject since I was young.

I've actually had a Celestron Nexstar 114 for a few years but haven't really had much of a chance to use it. However as we now have a caravan at a darkish site and I also have a Canon 1100 d I'd like to eventually try some astrophotgraphy.

I realise this can take a lot of expensive equipment...and a lot of practise! ...at mo I just want to make use of what I've got. I have several powerful mac laptops so ideally I'd like to use some live view software and also control telescope remotely, which I understand you can do wirelessly.

To start with though I'd just like to connect camera to eyepiece..

Is simple astrophotgraphy possible with my setup?...what additional hardware would I need?...

Many thanks in advance

Paul

Hi and welcome to the forum. I would strongly suggest you take a look at Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" if you are considering entering the world of the 'Dark Art' as astrophotography is affectionately termed. This book will provide you with the necessary overview of what kit you need and why you need it to take good consistent images to ensure you don't go and buy the wrong kit. If you want some idea of what people are using as their imaging 'rig' I suggest you head over to the imaging sections to check out member's equipment signatures and you will see what the standard is. For deep sky imaging which is the most common form of imaging, you will need as a minimum a precise motorised mount that is able to track the selected object for sufficient exposures in order to secure enough 'data' to help construct a final composite processed image. The above book is a comprehensive guide and therefore it is better to have this knowledge up front so that you can make an informed decision as to how far you want to go.  :smiley:

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James  

Welcome to SGL Paul - As an imager I can only second the advise above about getting hold of the book 'Making Every Photon Count' available from the book section of the FLO website. It is something of an imagers bible and needs to be read through very thoroughly in order to understand what you would be getting yourself into!!

My biggest piece of advise at the moment would be to take a look in the imaging section and be realistic about your expectations - What sort of images do you want to aspire to? Then look at the kit people use and that will give you an idea of what you will need.

Archived