Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astrofest... useful for newbie?

lucid

I was hoping to be able to check out a few different telescopes at an exhibition, before finally plonking cash down.

Does anyone have any experience with Astrofest? Is it a good place to see a variety of kit?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hoping to be able to check out a few different telescopes at an exhibition, before finally plonking cash down.

Does anyone have any experience with Astrofest? Is it a good place to see a variety of kit?

I'm an Astrofest fan, it's an easy journey from my location, should be ok from Bournemouth as well.

Lots of exhibitors you can chat to about their kit, as well as seeing equipment up close that cannot be done online, but do a bit of homework first to get at least some idea of your needs.

The lectures are good too, but best to book up early to save disappointment.  If just going for the exhibition, no need to book, tickets available on the door.

There's basic catering onsite, but avoid times when a lecture has just ended, loooong queues  :sad:

Regards, Ed.

There a good number of scopes at Astrofest so you will get the chance to see a lot and talk to the people, remember of course that they will say how good their stuff is.

The International show (not sure why International, I went last year and it wasn't) one will have more space but it is a long way from Bournemouth, OK if you are in the midlands but for your location I would have thought it was somewhat of a trek. I would assume a train from Bournemouth to London would be the option you took. Saturdays are busier generally.

The Kensington town hall is not overly large so it gets packed when the talks exit. To an extent the show is a victim of it's own success and as mentioned the talks are full and the place has a big area for talks and people.

One odd point is I have been to a few, 4 or 5, and never yet has the underground been fully operating.

Easy to find: Out of Kensington Stn, turn left for about 200yds then cross over to the right at the (sort of) cross rd. 5 minutes Stn to Town Hall.

Will say check the talks, if there is one of interest then if possible get a ticket. Something to attend and the talk ticket gets you in as well.

Leave ALL credit and debit cards at home!!!

It can get expensive otherwise, very expensive. :grin: :grin:

Just realised:

Wasn't the International Astro Show supposed to be Stonleigh this year?

I recall being told it was moving to a bigger place.

If still at the Leamington Spa location hope they get a bigger place for the talks.

It`s an easy trip for me so I`ve been quite a few times. It is a good way to see some kit and have a chat about it. As mentioned, check for tube line closures at the weekend. What I have done in the past is to have a day off work and go Friday, so that the tube is fully operating and it`s a chance to get in and snap up a bargain before the very busy Saturday.

Been a couple of times , good to 'see' the kit but not use it :) found most people to be friendly there

personally found local observing meets to be much more informative when considering kit purchases.

Sales people that work for one brand may be biased to their bits of kit and may not always give the most objective opinions. Some do though , so will need to read between the lines in some cases. Remember if busy they won't always have time for lots questions, so if want to ask lots go at a quietish time if possible

• 2 weeks later...

You do get some deals, sometimes the TV or ES eyepieces will be reduced by one of the exhibitors, 10% generally.

Not usually on the big scopes although there often a bit of a reduction on some. Sometime scopes like the WO ZS 71 will be £340 not £370, that sort of thing.

You could find the ES-82's with the Nitrogen filling are reduced as the newer ones are Argon, no difference in performance but the new ones say Ar. So Astrofest would be a good place to sell them. That is the sort of thing that could turn up.

Good chance to see the new bits, and there is generally one or two exhibitors selling an assortment of odd accessories, so you may pick up that odd bit you have always wanted. I bought one from BAA about 4 years ago, still have no idea what it really is or how it works. A planisphere type thing - only cost £1.

I have been to both shows and think the one in Warwickshire is far better, free parking and access roads are good, not too much traffic around.  Did get a good deal last year with TV eye pieces, most companies were offering 10%, Widescreen were offer 15 %, asked if there was any more as I was buying four and got another £35 off.  Biggest trouble with Astrofest is getting to the location and if you buy kit taking it back to your car.

Hope this helps you decision.

Peter

I've enjoyed Astrofest when new to all this a couple of years ago.

I took my teenage daughter with me, who promptly found a chair somewhere and proceeded to read a book while I went off browsing happily, ignoring all around her. Even Patrick Moore, RIP, wheeled by, with people posing for pictures with him. And she was oblivious to it all! :)

Great show. I've just booked two tickets for the talks on Saturday. They sell out, so get them while they last, and make a day of it.

Try the International Astronomy Show .... http://www.ukastroshow.com/event/the-international-astronomy-show/

Much better venue than Astrofest , loads of free parking , easy to get to , much more room to move etc , etc

Bit surprised that the picture they have used on their website's front page is that of a queue!. For an astro event they could have put any one of a countless number of amazing cosmic pictures on their front page, or maybe a picture of the delights inside the event. If there is one thing that's guaranteed to put me off attending something, it's the prospect of a queue! :(

Still that said, I'm thinking about going........

I love Astrofest, though I haven't been able to go for some time due to work here in France. I think it would be a terrible shame to see it just as a trade show since the lectures are often excellent. The venue is too small because the show is such a success but there are some deals available. It's often a good place to find rare books as well. I bought both volumes of Kepple and Sanner at Astrofest once.

So, yes, I'm a fan.

Olly

There is a Stargazing night at http://www.moors-valley.co.uk/event/stargazing-08-feb-13/

Come along and get to try out different scopes rather than just talking to people who will try and tell you there scope is the best !,

I will be going so maybe see you there :smiley:  

You're welcome to join me out in the New forest and try my scopes if you would like to as i am local to you!. 

Drop me a message to arrange something you're most welcome to join me :hippy2:

Ian. 

I agree with Olly -- Astrofest is worth it for the talks alone. You also get the chance to browse new publications and pick up back issues of Astronomy Now at ridiculously low prices. Saturday is becoming very crowded though and if you decide to go for a book signing you can wave goodbye to any time for lunch...

For me its also an excuse to visit old blighty  :laugh:. See you in a couple of weeks!

Martin 

Went for the first time last year, picked up an Astronomik CLS filter a fair bit off (£ 125 instead of £178 as I recall). Stupidly I didn't check line closures closely enough on my way home on the Friday. Saw the District line would be closed, didn't realise the Picadilly line was closed as well. Ended up on the rail replacement bus. Argh!

But as has been said, leave your credit card at home!

Both Astrofest and the IAS are good opportunities to check out different telescopes and other equipment.  I'd just go to which ever is easiest for you.  I'm sure you'll enjoy and learn a lot from either of them.

If your going to be impatient to buy something (always a danger!) then Astrofest is four months before the IAS this year.  :smiley:

I really like Astrofest, and I have a 300 mile journey to get there. Travel on the Friday, hotel for two nights.

In to the Fest. on the Saturday, and meet up with  some of the guys and peruse the exhibits. We take a nice  lunch at an Indian Restaurant

about a 10 minute walk away from the venue, and have a good chat about things in general.

I take in the session 4 lectures, which just about see the end of the event

Really enjoy the weekend in London.

The wife and I have a week there  in Summer too, and we both like it a great deal.

Spend time in museums, Parks, visit various attractions, some time in Greenwich too, including the Observatory.

I think the Midlands Astronomy Show will have an effect on Astrofest London, in terms of  taking away some of the visitors,

but I hope not so much as to cause the demise of the London Event. That would be sad, in spite of the drawbacks referred to, such as overcrowding

due to lack of space. I would like to see both survive, but only time will tell.

Ron.

Astrofest is pretty good, lots of dealers with kit to look at - for what that's worth.  The lectures are pretty good.  From what I see most things have deals,usually around 10%.  Bigger items are usually ordered and delivered.  Don't worry about the credit card, the connection only works if you go outside so there's plenty of time for second thoughts :)  I usually end up picking up small adaptors and odds and ends that would be expensive to get delivered.

I'm in High Wycombe so it's easy but the other show, near Birmingham may be easier for people further North.  Must try it some time, it's only a blast up the M40 for me.

Chris

Yes the show floors are useful for newbies, that's what I did before I bought an ED80 and NEQ6. This year I want to have a look at the new Ioptron cem60 mount although I have a feeling I may decide to get a Tak and put it on the neq6 first. I must resist bought stuff in haste !!!

astrofest is a great event, but for me getting there is a long drive plus tubes, the crowds are too much around the stalls, you can talk to the retailers but they are swamped, no where to sit and have a coffee unless your lucky, but you can have a good look round and see lots of gear of course.

the Warwick event is an hour away for me, easy parking right outside, loads of room to wander around and talking to the retailers is alot better as there stands are bigger and more accessible 

I have never been to any of these events, where I live they are all too far away. However, I am going to Astrofest this year, I have approx 10 zillion air miles and can never find a flight that has space left, except I got two seats on a flight to London on the Sat, me and the Mrs. She is off to meet friends whilst I go looking round the exhibition for a while, working out how to get the goodies home as hand luggage and without the Mrs spotting them. A large black bag is probably called for and useful stock phrases like 'they were practically giving it away' and 'it would have been criminal to leave it on the stand'.

IAS is around 3.5 hours each way for me and a lot of fuel, probably quicker to go via Amsterdam.

Robin

I'll be going on Sat as it's just down the Picadilly line from me, else bus to Hamersmith and tube from there.

Will also be looking ito going to IAS as well, but it's an hour and a half drive.

Archived