I hate the cold ! arrrggghhh

:eek:   <--- That's me after 10 minutes at 0ºc

Anyone have any recommendations on specific jackets and or other attire I can buy with my crimbo money that are very good? North face or sommet? I've never been an outdoor person and just run back inside like tonight lol

Haven't even got my heq5 yet and won't be able to setup if I can't get past the cold!

Help! :icon_rendeer:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I am an angler I tend to use some of my carp fishing gear when standing about with the scope....I have a great one piece suit and a 2 piece Wychwood bivvy suit which is toasty...so have a look on the fishing websites ;-)

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Lots of thin layers of cotton. Good hat, two sets of socks and thick soled boots.

I have a trip in February to Sweden when I am across in the UK and the week after next I am in Korea. Both pretty cold at present. Just been down to the local Decathlon store to buy some more warmer kit.

It is one of the few foreign chains in China that stock XL,2XL and even 3XL sizes.

Lots of layers. Disposable hand and toe can do wonders when put in boots to keep the toes warm and put in coat pockets to warm up the fingers after messing with the cold metal of a scope. All I usually wear on my head is a baseball cap and a hood. I don't like heavier skiing caps as they get too warm for me.

Just came in from an hour and a half session in -10F. Took the scope out to cool off while I gathered the rest of my gear. Aligned the scope and waited for eyes to adjust. Total time at the eyepiece was about an hour. Toes were a bit nippy but what drove me in were the clouds. It started nice and clear but patchy clouds started rolling in so I packed it up. Got some decent views of Jupiter though. 

Get down to Trespass or look on the net. Their Igloo down jackets are so comfortable and very warm. It's like being inside a sleeping bag.

Ending in fingerless mitts ,one pair thin then wool rich thick socks inside snow boots. Above which long johns and cord trousers. Nice bobbly hat.

Sometimes I'm so warm it's a pity to leave the fire side !!!

Nick.

Layers are the key. Thermals (2 or 3 pairs of socks too), plus normal clothes, plus lots of jumpers plus a large jacket. You may need the jacket to have a lot of room normally, all those clothes will take up a lot of space so you may need the next size up.

Just make sure that when you add layers not to make anything too tight. 

In my boots i wear a thinner pair of socks and then a thicker wool pair over the top of those. If I add another pair the boots are too tight and my feet actually get colder than if I were only wearing 2 pair.

You need a couple of good thermal layers next to you.

Trouble is getting a good thermal layer is not cheap, it said best to avoid cotten. If you sweat into it then it retains the moisture then you can get really cold.

Something like a Patagonia R1 or R2 layer is good, as are the Patagonia Capaline 2 or 3 layers. One should be OK if you add a reasonable fleece top over it.

For a jacket well down is the best, makes I have are PHD, Alpkit.

Alpkit were/are good but their prices have gone up a fair bit in the last few years. Presently £120 but you stay warm, get at least one size bigger then normal, probably better two sizes bigger.

Feet, good boots, although not necessarily expensive I find. Last year I picked up a set of snow boots for £25 reduced from £80 (it said). About 4 months back I god a set of "field boots" from Aldi that are good for £12. Did add a layer to the inner sole lining as it was just compressed card or similar. Socks, Go-Outdoors do a fair selection, and there is one in Wigan. If you drop in there then pick up a wooly hat and a pair of double layer Thinsulate gloves, nothing overly costly.

Last time in Go-Outdoors they had some fair looking boots. Thing to remember is you need insulation as you are basically standing still, so a good walking sole and other similar aspects is unnecessary.

I don't find my legs feel cold so they just get trousers as normal.

Shops to look at Tresspass, Go-Outdoors, Tog-24, Mountain Warehouse, Regatta, Alpkit, PHD.

The heat is retained by the air that is trapped, so do not go for well fitting clothing that restricts and removes the air.

Will say about half my serious stuff comes from abroad.

Thermal insoles for your boots, buy your boots one size up, then

you have room for insoles and thick thermal socks, if your feet are

warm then the rest is easy, just layer up, last night I had to take a 

layer off I was too warm even though it was -2, had a great session

though, love the frosty nights, it was really clear. 

Realised another option. Have a look for a 2 piece jacket - usually a wind and water proof outer with a zip in fleece inner. I keep one in the car for an emergency situation - as in snow bound in the middle of nowhere.

A couple of fleece tops and one of them you will stay warm. Go-Outdoors refers to them as 3-in-1 jackets. Only advice I will give is get one that doesn't "rustle", mine doees and a bit annoying, previous one was "softer" and quiet. Go-Outdoors has them at various prices from £20 up.

Something really simple to help your feet, is to cut a 2 feet square piece of foam camping mat to stand on, to insulate your feet from the cold ground. I also use the same mat in the base of my battery box to insulate that from the ground.

Gonna get me some heated insoles and some heated gloves. I have arthritis in my hands despite still being south of 40 and I'm really struggling with the cold this year. Less than nimble!!!

Actually someone on here recommended those overalls they wear in freezers and abbatoirs for sub zero temperatures. They were cheap compared to the down filled parkas and seemed a really good idea.

I have ordered these, i think thye may be ok without any thing else, but i do have thermal top and bottoms if required, while getting a load of warm gear on you still need to be able to move without bits leaking cold air in, i hope this will sort that out..

http://www.dickiesstore.co.uk/dickies-workwear/dickies-and-redhawk-overalls/dickies-deluxe-overalls/WD2360R

Don't scrimp on clothing, though don't be excessive. What's the point of buying a nice shiny scope and not being able to enjoy it? Some decent clothes will last you many years as long as you only use them for observing...which happens about twice a year these days :grin:

As mentioned in other threads, get a hot water bottle as well, very low cost and works really well when just sat about. Old tech is a zillion times better than a battery powered vest.

Archived