Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

00 vx14 1/10 first light

faulksy

oh my god, its a good job you cant swear on this forum. sorted my mount and put the scope out, nice and easy no leveling just put the fan on for 30 mins away you go. only tried 1 ep up to now and thats my t5 31mm nagler wow, there is only a small patch of sky with no cloud and if you put your hand up and clench a fist all you can see is cloud. but with 1.6 degrees and 14" apperature there is loads to see i realy mean that the amount of stars that are visible is amazing, i honestly felt a bit giddy it was like i was in space reaching out to the stars. i then had a quick shot at jupiter i wasnt exspecting much as i no my colimation is well out but at 51x i could easily see the cloud bands as if i was using 100x or more. ok a few problems the focuser is rubbish lots of slop have to have the draw tube tight so it stays some were near but im getting a sips system as soon as the post is sorted, i also dont have a finder but im doing all right for playing.but now after just 30 mins i can understand why people love dobs, there silent in use and you can just glide to wear you want to view. i love it going back for some more now

god this is a good night, right my colimation is out my focuser is rubbish i have no finder and its great. i am rubbish at navigating the sky due to having go to which is great but its spoilt me. to the right of m42 i seen 3 beautiful open clusters which i didnt recognise and it wasnt the double, something else weird has the 7 sisters gone super nova or something because there was a dam site more than seven thats for sure lol. last one for now i was just looking through the ep before at auriga and it dawned on i feel when i was looking through my sct which realy is great i mean that, but it felt like i was looking through a telescope but with this its like as if nothing is there, does that sound weird .so so happy, whats it going to be like when i have sorted all the issues and get to a dark sky ?

another update, still out and realy enjoying this night, its -1 ep keep fogging up but skys are quite clear just bagged the double cluster, hard to find with no finder but couldnt find m31 :embarassed: , managed the lovely clusters in auriga they are so nice and bright. but what has just stunned me is i thought lets just see how high i can go, skys are reasonably steady capella is twinkaling slightly, pointed at jupiter usig my 16mm nirvana lovel view tried my 12.5 bgo brilliant lots of detail try the 9mm bgo, still the same constant good seeing, then i tried my meade image amplifier with the 9mm bgo and wow lots of contrast and detail could see the belts north and south and the main ones, could of been a bit sharper but thats either the skies or my colimation but 355x mag the ep was around a 1/3 full and it stayed in the fov for around 5 secs brilliant  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :smiley:  :smiley:  :smiley:  :smiley: 

Next time you do jupiter at very high mag try some kind of filter. Either a moon or nd filter. You will find the contrast far better with the reduction in light. I recently tried this out and now use a 12% ND filter on my dob and findvthe views far more satisfying.

Try it out on your tv and you will see what I mean, sometimes less is more.

Steve

Next time you do jupiter at very high mag try some kind of filter. Either a moon or nd filter. You will find the contrast far better with the reduction in light. I recently tried this out and now use a 12% ND filter on my dob and findvthe views far more satisfying.

Try it out on your tv and you will see what I mean, sometimes less is more.

Steve

hi steve, forgot about a filter i have used a uhc on jupiter with my sct and it was great, i think my head had gone last night due to the excitement :smiley: 

Glad you're enjoying it :). This is why people use dobs, so easy to use and enjoyable ;).

very enjoyable felt like i had never been star gazing before and this was my first time :smiley:

Haha...just sitting back and watching a child ride a bike on his own for the first time here!!.....now do you see what the fuss is about!...welcome to the dob mob mate,clear skies!

thank calv, cant wait until we go to brecon ,its going to be amazing, thank for the welcome :grin: :grin:

It's quite an experience using ya first Dob isn't it?

I remember my first one after using driven EQ mounts for years. It was like, suddenly I was free. Great feeling.

Enjoy :)

Fully agree about feeling free with a Dob.  

When I started out, EQ mounts were king, and alt-az was looked down on as inferior because you couldn't afford a proper mount.

But for visual observing, there's no going back for me, alt-az forever  :smiley:

Regards, Ed.

Archived