NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC410 and friends * Widefield mosaic *

swag72

This has turned into a bit of a marathon so far, in that the 2x2 pane mosaic that I had originally planned and posted on the forum really was going to be it. But after a few comments, I realised that I really should capture 2 more panes on the right and get the Spider and Fly (IC417 and NGC1931). I succumbed to pressure, but I will not succumb to any more - I am not capturing 3 more beneath it to get the end of the spike!!! :grin:

So wide field or not? Probably not in the true sense of the word, but I feel like it is!! Especially as I am also working on the OIII at the moment. 3 panes in the bag, only another 3 panes to go! Boy do I need a bigger chip :grin:

M: Avalon Linear fast reverse

T: Takahashi FSQ85 0.73x

C: Atik 460 EXM 3nm Ha

84x1800s in total - 42 hours so far, which is looking at doubling with the OIII addition.

post-5681-0-66707700-1387884482_thumb.jp

You can see a larger version here http://swagastro.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/3/7/23377322/ic410_mosaic.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is wonderfully sharp, contrasty and deep. What more could anyone ask for - apart from the rest of the object of course!  :blob10:  :blob3:  :blob5:  :blob6:

(I'm the one who suggested collecting the rest of the pointed spike but I've a feeling I know where it would end up if Sara did capture it...  :eek: )

On a more adult note, I was imaging M38 with a guest when we noticed some nebulosity. It turned out to belong to the complex you've image here, so it does straggle on a fair bit. For the seriously deranged mosaic addict it would be possible to carry on to the south east of Sara's image and include the enormous Simeis 147 SN remnant.

Olly

Thanks all for your comments, I'm glad that you've all enjoyed looking at it - Yes Olly, it was you that mentioned the end of the spike and the words I used for you are not repeatable on a family forum!!

I am plugging away on the OIII, I too would like to see a colour version. I think it will be interesting to process, if only because I think that certainly the Tadpoles and Flaming Star will respond very differently to the same process. Interesting times ahead :grin:

Cant believe there is not a salute you or hats off smiley. Stunning work as always Sara, it really is starting to look quite exceptional. 

Oh, rest assured, my bow is low and my hat is doffed.

This is a terrific piece of work. If an equivalent image has been done better I certainly haven't seen it.

Olly

Thanks Guy and Olly, once more!

Just as an interesting aside, I added up the data that I used for 2013 for far and it came to 435 hours, that is all data that made it to an image. There are many hours that fell by the wayside as well - I hope that 2014 will give me a few hours more :grin:

Sara,

This is looking mighty fine, congratulations. You have captured the ambience of this

beautifull deep sky object wonderfully. I prefer B/W images like this, many times over the narrow band

"colourbook", but that is personal taste I guess.

Pieter

Brilliant work Sara, what took you so long to get that up eh :grin:  been waiting to see this, seriously though even with my little time imaging i know how difficult is is to capture this sort of stuff, terrific dedication.

You know you will go on with this image, your curiosity will get the better of you (i hope).

Maybe expand it like Olly said just in Ha, see how you feel about it, capture the OIII for the above work already done, then decide if you want the rest.

Hope you had a great christmas Sara, what am i saying if i could capture anything over xmas i'd be having a great one.

Well done you.

Thanks again - I MAY consider going a little larger, I shall see how it goes!!

The reason I took so long with it Ewan was due to the weather we had and also that for a couple of decent nights the moon was almost in the field of view I think!! Even the 3nm couldn't cope with that!!

Thanks again - I MAY consider going a little larger, I shall see how it goes!!

The reason I took so long with it Ewan was due to the weather we had and also that for a couple of decent nights the moon was almost in the field of view I think!! Even the 3nm couldn't cope with that!!

Aha, the hero in you resurfaces, Sara. Just watch what you do with that spike...

Olly

Archived