New Skylight Refractor on it's way

Skylight Telescopes seem to be about to add a new model to their range:

http://skylight-telescopes.com/?page_id=479

I'm assuming that the "R.ED" designation means an ED doublet as well as a play on the colour scheme ?.

I'm slightly surprised that Skylight would be interested in entering the already crowded 4" ED market, although their scope looks distinctive. I thought they would keep to designs that were a little away from the crowd ?.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if they are looking to fill the niche that the Tele Vue 102 F/8 has left now it has been discontinued ?. My guess is that the Skylight might have a high end price and quality and aim for those that would like something that is hand made in the UK and are prepared to pay for it. Their last offering used a Tele Vue objective lens and this one might too.

Good luck to him indeed. I'd love one of the AR101 F/15 Skylight's, alas though, I don't have that kind of money and I certainly don't have a mount big enough for it (not to mention my room is already pretty full of scopes without adding a 1.5m long tube, lovely as it is...)

Confess I too was surprised to see this new departure for Richard at Skylight...I know that the loves long focal length fracs (as do I) but also I seem to recall that he's never liked the shorter apo type scopes (if I have misquoted him here I apologise profusely :laugh: )...so it just makes it all the more interesting to see what's in his thinking to bring this one to the market.

I've not yet seen a scope from Skylight that didn't have great glass, so we'd better watch this space! :grin:

Dave

Confess I too was surprised to see this new departure for Richard at Skylight...I know that the loves long focal length fracs (as do I) but also I seem to recall that he's never liked the shorter apo type scopes (if I have misquoted him here I apologise profusely :laugh: )...so it just makes it all the more interesting to see what's in his thinking to bring this one to the market.

I've not yet seen a scope from Skylight that didn't have great glass, so we'd better watch this space! :grin:

Dave

I'd love to know what Neil English thinks of this new Skylight. He is not keen on short apos either - he calls them "poodles" :smiley:  

I saw this earlier too and was also quite surprised. Sure is a pretty scope but it would take a fair few piggy bank raids to buy I should think. a while ago I was looking at there 60mm f/15 which I think is something like 500 pounds. Normally when seeing such a price for a 60mm frac I would be horrified but I think these are the exeption to th rule, really beautiful scopes that you could look at all day when you are not looking through them.

I wish Richard well with his new scope. Its an interesting departure... . Good to see he's trying new things, and I'm sure it'll be a great piece of work! The skylight f13 100mm I have is a beautiful, superbly built and wonderfully performing instrument - I'm sure this ED will be every bit as excellent!

I think, Like Caldwell14, I'd also be very interested to see something in the 5" range :-)

I'd love to know what Neil English thinks of this new Skylight. He is not keen on short apos either - he calls them "poodles" :smiley:  

I dont remember Richard having any thing against ED scopes, its Mr English that prefers the long achro

I think what he actually said was that he was pro achro not anti apo

Thats what Neil says on his website home page  :smiley:

Anyway, it's good to see a small UK based company pushing out new models which get worldwide acclaim.

Thats what Neil says on his website home page  :smiley:

Anyway, it's good to see a small UK based company pushing out new models which get worldwide acclaim.

yep its good to see UK based production of astro goodies.

On another note, whats your new avatar John? I can't quite make it out but it looks interesting :)

....On another note, whats your new avatar John? I can't quite make it out but it looks interesting  :)

It's the cover of the album "Tales of the Unexpected" by Frank Marino. I've sort of re-discovered it lately  :smiley:

It's the cover of the album "Tales of the Unexpected" by Frank Marino. I've sort of re-discovered it lately  :smiley:

Didn't Frank believe her was an incarnation of Jimi Hendrix after a bad acid trip? The story he put about was he woke up in hospital to discover he could suddenly play the guitar, his band was called Mahogany Rush

Skylight Telescopes seem to be about to add a new model to their range:

http://skylight-telescopes.com/?page_id=479

I'm assuming that the "R.ED" designation means an ED doublet as well as a play on the colour scheme ?.

I'm slightly surprised that Skylight would be interested in entering the already crowded 4" ED market, although their scope looks distinctive. I thought they would keep to designs that were a little away from the crowd ?.

It's great to see a small UK manufacturer doing apparently well. I'm sure it will be a superb 'scope and provide excellent images for the aperture. Personally I'm not a fan of the colour scheme but I'm a bit boring :grin:

Archived