Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M76 - The Little Dumbell (a bit of a close up)

Tim

M76 - The Little Dumbell

This isn't exactly the latest image from my observatory, the pictures were originally taken in 2012, but I have only just motivated myself to process them.

Celestron C11 EdgeHD at 2350mm (f10) with Atik 428ex binned 2x2, imaged in 6 filters (R-G-B/Ha-O3-S2) and results combined in various convolutions to achieve the end result.

M76 is a planetary nebula, marking the final stages of a stars life. These are nothing to do with planets, but rather an expanding shell of gases released from a red giant. Our galaxy is full of such nebulae, all in various stages of expansion. When viewed through a telescope, this one looks a little like an apple core, or a cork.

get.jpg

I binned the camera 2x2, might as well at this scale.

Around 10 of each subs in RGB, approx 300 seconds each, and then 20 odd each for the narrowband filters, 1200 seconds each.

It looks a little dark on my obsy PC screen, processed this one on my laptop, hopefully you can see the faint outer wings too.

Cheers

Tim

Agreed Tim, that's not an easy target especially guiding at F10, i know.

Quite faint so binning was a good idea as well i guess, i have some of this data as well but same as you i have left it alone for now until next year.

Well done getting that much detail on the outer shell. 

Nice image.

Thanks Steve.

I just wasn't sure how to go about combining the 6 channels, and the data is good enough to warrant spending some time on, but I don't have an awful lot of time spare, so I have just kept putting it off :p

Actually, I have a lot of images on my obsy PC that have never seen the light of day, a lot of what I do is just to satisfy personal curiosity, or sometimes I dont get enough data to complete a set. 

Just not enough hours in a night :)

Is that an offer Rob?  :D

If anybody would like the data to play with I am happy to share, so just shout.

Essentially, I combined the RGB image with an combination of Ha + Red, Oiii + Green, Oiii + Blue, and Red + S2, Green + Ha, Blue + Oiii, and then just mucked about with the blending in PS.

The stars though are just the RGB data.

I'd love to see what you guys could come up with for this one, there is more in the data than I have brought out here :)

Cheers

Tim

Is that an offer Rob?   :D

If anybody would like the data to play with I am happy to share, so just shout.

Essentially, I combined the RGB image with an combination of Ha + Red, Oiii + Green, Oiii + Blue, and Red + S2, Green + Ha, Blue + Oiii, and then just mucked about with the blending in PS.

The stars though are just the RGB data.

I'd love to see what you guys could come up with for this one, there is more in the data than I have brought out here :)

Cheers

Tim

Thinking more of bunging a barlow on the RC and taking it up to f12 (3600mm FL) Tim....... binned 2x2, and considering the target is quite bright, it should be interesting. Those big fuzzy things full of water in the sky need to go away though!!

Archived