NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M1 Crab Nebula in Ha (EdgeHD 11 @1960mm f/l)

x6gas

M1 - the Crab Nebula - is on my list as a winter project and this is my first run of data.

It's meant swapping from my wider field setup back to my SCT... and that's where the trouble began!  I'm having real difficulties getting my guiding working well and setting the SCT up again - bit of a pain since I had things working pretty well over the summer when I was galaxy hunting with this rig. 

The guide graph looked unbelievably bad last night so I kept the subs down to 10 minutes.  To be honest I was really surprised to get round stars when the images started rolling in - not sure what that's all about! - and my sensor spacing is 4 mm inside of optimum too which isn't going to help.  Also, I had to compromise on the framing to get a good guide star so this is a crop of the full frame.  So taking all that in to account, I am reasonably happy with this!

21 x 600s Ha (Baader 7nm)

Scope: Celestron EdgeHD 11 w/ Celestron 0.7 reducer

Mount: CGEM DX

Camera: Atik 460ex

Guiding: Atik OAG, IMG0H, PHD

post-11821-0-60612000-1387021552_thumb.p

As usual comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks for looking and clear skies.

Ian

Holy Moly!! There's great detail in there and despite your problems it's come out really well. You planning on adding colour to this?

Really good image. Lots of detail and those stars look round. I'd also love to see a colour version.

Thanks both.  Well the plan was to collect RGB, Ha, [OIII] and [sII] and try to do a six filter combine... but that will depend on whether, the moon, and how my kit behaves.  The 10 minute subs on this don't go as deep as I'd like (but then the moon was 90% lit at the time and even through an Ha filter I am not sure how long I could have gone...).

So I need to decide whether to try for longer Ha subs... and perhaps seek a better framing... or gather OIII next so that at least I have data for a bicolour.  That said, if I get a clear moonless night I'll go for the RGB in one sitting.

Really good result on this nice image. I have done it December 06th but only with 2h40 time exposure.

Franck

Thanks Franck.  Just taken a look at your image and it's a beauty.  Oh to have a 10 micron mount!

A set of Astrodon filters is on my list and I wonder what kind of improvement I might see under by semi-urban skies... but they'll have to wait for a bit!

That looks superb Ian, Especially with a 90% moon in the firing line. that along with the high 1960mm f/l would no doubt cause alot of guiding issues. but you seem to have controlled the guiding really well judging by your stars. I'll look forward to watching this one blossom. good luck on getting the rest of your data!

Great result and a very nice image scale, looking forward to watching this develop into a full colour image :afro:

The 10 minute subs on this don't go as deep as I'd like (but then the moon was 90% lit at the time and even through an Ha filter I am not sure how long I could have gone...).

So I need to decide whether to try for longer Ha subs... and perhaps seek a better framing... or gather OIII next so that at least I have data for a bicolour.  That said, if I get a clear moonless night I'll go for the RGB in one sitting.

I recently Shot this in Ha @ 1200 Fl with 900 second subs and your image looks about as deep, so you may be good to go on the next filter.

I plan to do the same as you and shoot HA, R,G,B, OIII and SII ( I have the Ha,R and B in the bag).

Mike.

top drawer Ian!

Thanks Bob - all things considered I'm happy with this - amazed in fact given the guiding issues I was having...

Very nice

Cheers Andy.

That is fantastic Ian. Incredible detail in the filaments. Good luck with collecting the colour.

Dave

Thanks a lot Dave.  There is obvious much more fine detail than I've captured, but I don't have the darkest skies at the best of times so I'm pleased with the detail.

That looks superb Ian, Especially with a 90% moon in the firing line. that along with the high 1960mm f/l would no doubt cause alot of guiding issues. but you seem to have controlled the guiding really well judging by your stars. I'll look forward to watching this one blossom. good luck on getting the rest of your data!

Cheers Morimarty.  Even the Baader 7nm does a reasonable job of cutting out the moon (though I'm saving for a set of Astrodons) but a bright moon does hamper finding a guide star - I find I need something pretty bright or to up the integration time on the guide camera.  Because the guiding was misbehaving, I went for a pretty bright star (perhaps too bright - maybe that was part of the problem) but that compromised the framing as I say.

Ian, that's a very nice M1 with excellent resolution which really shows the benefits of using your C11 Edge - look foward to the full colour version.

Martin

Thanks Martin.  Yes the Edge is a nice scope when set up properly, especially when reduced to a more usable focal ratio.  It has some downsides - need to throw a lot of anti-dew protection at it, of course, and by the time you've bought the scope, reducer (without which the scope doesn't make any sense), hyperstar, etc., etc., it's in the territory of a large Apo refractor price wise - but the focal length is very useful for some targets and, of course, I have the option of using it for planetary imaging... not that I've done that for a while...

Great result and a very nice image scale, looking forward to watching this develop into a full colour image :afro:

I recently Shot this in Ha @ 1200 Fl with 900 second subs and your image looks about as deep, so you may be good to go on the next filter.

I plan to do the same as you and shoot HA, R,G,B, OIII and SII ( I have the Ha,R and B in the bag).

Mike.

Thanks for the kind comments.  I'd somehow missed your version, Mike.  Yours has the edge on mine - no doubt about it - despite the shorter focal length and fewer subs, but I agree both have about the same depth...  You're ahead of me on data too, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for your colour versions!

One of the most detailed M1 pics I've ever seen, wonderful! also +1 for adding colour that would be something else :)

Cheers Chris.

I'll be out there trying to get some data for a colour version soon as I can - but the weather ain't looking all that promising!  It took me two years' waiting to get RGB for my Horsehead - hope I don't have to wait that long for this!

Archived