Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tim

The latest image from my observatory (OK, it's a shed with sliding roof!)

This is IC443, more commonly called the Jellyfish Nebula.
It is a supernova remnant, the remains of a star which exploded over 3000 years ago. It has been expanding in space ever since, and is now 70 light years across.
Imaged here over several nights in two wavelengths, Hydrogen Alpha (7nm) and Oxygen III. The dominant hydrogen gases show as red, with tastes of Oiii as blue.
Total exposure time 9 hours.
Skywatcher Esprit 150ED and Atik 11000.

get.jpg

Yeah the matched flattener seems to do the job nicely Andy. I haven't touched the stars at all in this.

The big chip gives you a very nice big playing field, I wish it was as sensitive as the Sony chips in my 460ex's, but I guess you can't have it all. This was was 30 min subs, in the exview chips it would be a lot cleaner, brighter and more vibrant for 30 mins.

Cheers

Tim

What camera Steve?  This scope is f7, so not the fastest, although I find it makes very little difference to narrowband exposures. If I was using a Sony chip I'd do 20 min subs and up the rate of return by 50%!!!

Hi Tim

I'm using the Sx 694 and 5nm Ha at the moment with the FS60 and flattener so I'm about f6 so I'm not running fast.

I'm on the grab and go mount GPDX which has been known to do 600secs in the past

I will push it as far as I can as I am a glutton for punishment imaging wise(40 mins on the propeller neb with the FS102 proves it and still following the cricket)

If that fails I'll put it back on the NJP and abandon Jupiter with the SCT

Thanks

Steve

Archived