Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first NB - IC443 - I've much to learn!

Adreneline

Hi Everyone,

This is my first NB image - 16x600s of Ha plus 16x600s of Oiii - Sii will have to wait for another long, clear night.

I went with the blended channels approach in PixInsight 100% Ha in R, 40% Ha + 60% Oiii in G, and 100% Oiii in B. Using 100% Ha in R and 100% Oiii in G and B resulted in a very red nebula and a distinct red tint to the background.

Any help or suggestions on how it might be improved would be much appreciated - I essentially followed the LVA tutorial.

IC443-Blended_Channels-processed.thumb.jpg.6912f598e0e8b2611eed906e11db3eef.jpg

Thank you for looking.

Adrian

Looks good. Did you combine linear or stretched data? I've never done pure NB imaging, but I would think that to have certain ratios, you would need an equal average image intensity for the various filters. Ie, mean(Ha) = mean(Oiii). Just curious; I must check that LVA tutorial.

3 hours ago, wimvb said:

Did you combine linear or stretched data?

Hi Wim,

I combined stretched data as advised in the LVA tutorial.

At the same time I also imaged this target with my 414ex-osc taking 30 x 600s images. I chose not to combine the NB with the RGB(osc) because the FoV was different and the image would have been quite cropped. The osc image is strikingly red! I did mess about extracting the individual channels and combining them collectively and individually with the NB frames but the end result was not at all pleasing.

I am not sure Sii will make a lot of difference but I am keen to try once we get another clear night.

As the LVA tutorial suggests (and web images confirm) you can get just about any colour you like by mixing the components in different/equal ratios.

Thank you for your comments Wim.

Adrian

On 11/01/2018 at 08:57, wimvb said:

I would think that to have certain ratios, you would need an equal average image intensity for the various filters. Ie, mean(Ha) = mean(Oiii).

Hi Wim,

This is the result of me trying to achieve what I think you mean by "equal average image intensity" and combining Ha : Oiii : Oiii in R:G:B - this is much closer to the osc image I took at the same time.

IC443-LRGB-Style-PS.thumb.jpg.76e51b0bbc4b111045db8186e2682790.jpg

Adrian

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 23:07, Adreneline said:

Hi Everyone,

This is my first NB image - 16x600s of Ha plus 16x600s of Oiii - Sii will have to wait for another long, clear night.

I essentially followed the LVA tutorial.

Hi Adrian .... can I ask what this "LVA Tutorial" is ? .... and where can I find it?

Mike

1 minute ago, SlimPaling said:

Hi Adrian .... can I ask what this "LVA Tutorial" is ? .... and where can I find it?

Hello Mike,

I use the Light Vortex Astronomy site quite a bit - at least as a starting point.

http://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorials.html

In particular I used this one as a basis for experimenting with my NB data:

http://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorial-narrowband-bicolour-palette-combinations.html

Adrian

Archived