Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

StaceStar

Jellyfish nebula with OSC camera

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, StaceStar said:

That's the plan eventually ! :) I found focusing manually with the Ha filter difficult....so I've got a Sesto senso for my birthday (in less than a month) then I hope I'll be able to focus easier and make use of those filters! Cant wait. Thanks for the good feedback also :)

I assume that you are using a focusing mask?

You will need to expose for a good 10seconds at high ish gain to focus a narrow band filter and you have to do it on a bright star too. It takes practice and you have to wait a cycle between each adjustment to allow the scope to settle down again.

We will be running out of narrow band targets in the next month or two so hope you get to try it out before that.

Adam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Adreneline
      Hi Everyone,
      This is my first NB image - 16x600s of Ha plus 16x600s of Oiii - Sii will have to wait for another long, clear night.
      I went with the blended channels approach in PixInsight 100% Ha in R, 40% Ha + 60% Oiii in G, and 100% Oiii in B. Using 100% Ha in R and 100% Oiii in G and B resulted in a very red nebula and a distinct red tint to the background.
      Any help or suggestions on how it might be improved would be much appreciated - I essentially followed the LVA tutorial.

      Thank you for looking.
      Adrian
    • By alan4908
      This is an LRGB image with Ha blended in the Lum and Red channels.
      The Lum was quite faint, even after over 3hours, so I decided to blend quite a large amount of Ha in order make the image reasonably bright and not too red. The Ha is also blended into the Red channel but at a much lower level.  I made a slight change to the Hue, towards the green, in order to get a slightly more appealing red.  In total, the image represents about 13 hours integration time. 
    • By alan4908
      First a slight aside: I quite like trees but they can be a bit frustrating when you have a target object (eg IC443) that is visible for a couple of hours, disappears behind trees for a couple of hours, reappears for a couple of hours and then finally disappears. To overcome this I've programmed ACP with my highly undulating horizon so my scope acquires other objects when others are hidden - the joy of automated imaging...
      Anyway, back to the image which represents about 13 hours of integration time - I decided to go for a LRGB image with an Ha blend in both the Lum and Red channels. I was surprised that even with a relatively long exposure on the Lum it didn't pick up more of the nebula,  so I decided to blend a higher than my normal Ha percentage into the Lum so that it would appear reasonable bright and not too red.
      Alan

       
       LIGHTS: 20; R:10; G:10; B:19 x 600s; Ha:7 x 1800s. DARKS:30; BIAS:100; FLATS:40.
       
    • By gorann
      Now, when I finally have some clear skies, the moon spoils it all, so I have played around with data from last month on the Jellyfish Nebula. It is my DSLR data with Francois Theriault's CCD Ha data as luminosity.
      Equipment in Sweden: ES 127ED refractor with TS 0.79x reducer (=f/5.9) IDAS filter and Canon 60Da on EQ8. Equipment in Canada Antares 8" Newtonean (f/5) and SBIG ST8300M and Bader Ha 7nm filter on CGEM.
      65 x 300" exposures = 5.4 hours

    • By Pompey Monkey
      After my last attempt at HaRGB on the Horsehead, I have decided to concentrate on narrowband for now from my semi-urban home.
      I have had a go at the Famous Jellyfish Nebula in Ha with my trusty 150 pds and SBIG 8300m with the Baader 7 nm filter. After looking at the efforts of others on varying targets, I have come to the conclusion that even narrowband benefits from darker skies!
      16 X 1200 seconds.
      Processing was mainly just stretching in PS, but I had a go at the mure de noise script in PI first, as demonstrated by Gnomus and Barry ( https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/262808-another-rosette-wo-star-71/ ).
      I still think it's a little waxy, but not excessively so, and it did allow me to stretch it that little bit more before the histogram turned into a profile map of the Dolomites ;)
      This might be my last with the 150 pds for a while as I'm off to Essex to collect a WO Star 71 today!!  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.